February 2021 Challenge

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 3 of 4
It’s interesting to see all the different takes on abstract, I have to admit to never having tried it before . I like a few others am not to sure if my take on Icicles hanging from a corrugated roof meets the abstract criteria be nice if someone would tell me.
Thought I’d have another attempt at this - wasn’t at all sure where I was going with it, so rather messy in places where I kept making changes!  

Edited
by Jenny Harris

There are some wonderful designs coming out of the challenge, we all seem to agree that blue/white is the predominant colour combination. When you see snow and ice in bright light it seems to hold many colours of the spectrum really. I’ve gone for blue and white again, in the main, and I’ve tried to get some dendritic effects into this one as well. I’ll probably have a few more attempts yet....
Now I’ve looked at it posted here, it looks as though it’s a scene under water.
Some stunning attempts!   I've just gone for a very very quick colour splash image inspired by the colours in an old photo of snow up a hill.
It may not be abstract but I really like it Katy.

Edited
by Diane Boswell

Thank you Diane, so many different excellent interpretations. I’ve tried another splash around with pearlescent inks and gouache. Still not getting to grips with abstract but here goes...
Great interpretations so far, I have no idea how to start this🤔
Katy Dean on 25/01/2021 21:10:19
Well, I thought I would give it a go, here it is, it was fun, I will try something else before February is out, was just having a try.
Denise Cat on 25/01/2021 17:04:56
Well, I thought I would give it a go, here it is, it was fun, I will try something else before February is out, was just having a try.
Denise Cat on 25/01/2021 17:04:56 I like this. It's put me in mind of a 'Gin on the Rocks', and I wonder if ice cubes on a string will catch on? Seriously Denise, I do like this; and blue is my fave colour! Regards John
Here’s my rendition. I painted it a while back and just put it to one side, but I thought it might foot the bill with the colours. It’s on stretched canvas and painted in acrylics. Originally it was intended to be a seascape, but on looking at it again, I suppose it could be a snowy looking painting! 

Edited
by Ellen Mooney

Thanks John.
A microscopic photo a viewer sent in to Winterwatch a couple of weeks ago of ice crystals on an iron railing (which looked like buildings) - got me thinking.   I've been reading poetry during lockdown, and this is my response to The Midnight Skaters by Edmund Blunden.  I've called it A Slice Through a Frozen Pond - although it's not death lurking beneath the ice, only fishes! Although my first art tutor taught me the principles of abstract 10 years ago, I've never done any collage before.  This is a mixed media piece, collage and pastel pencils on Mi Tientes mixed media paper.
I like this Bobbie. I think with abstracts you have to think outside the box, I paint more of them now than I used to, however turning a scene/photo into shapes can be testing. Lately I’ve been painting from memory, but my inspiration is in short supply at the moment, I expect, like many of us right now. 
Showing page 3 of 4