February 2021 Challenge

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 2 of 4
I had intended to post this earlier, but it works for Feb. challenge also. We had snow for the first time in years. It stuck around for several days.
Welcome to the forum Skylar!  I heard that there has been snow in Florida this year.  Which state are you in?  We had snow in Plymouth for the first time in years too.
Not sure this really counts as abstract but I splattered watercolor onto 300grm paper and sprayed it with water and hoped for the best. Will do another using Brusho and see what developes from that.
Linda, I think some people are confused as to what abstracts are. They aren't " impressions"...there are often paintings on the gallery which are described as abstracts and aren't - we've had discussions on here in the past ...many different views. It irritates me😁. 
I agree Marjorie.  Doesn’t abstract mean that an element of reality is abstracted and focussed on.  Whereas, some people use the word to describe works that are nothing to do with reality.
As people have been talking about Lapis Lazuli and I have a tube, thought I’d use it for this challenge.  It’s a (very expensive) Daniel Smith watercolour (Lapis Lazuli Genuine) in their Primatek range - and is quite horrible to use!  Although nearly all my watercolours are Daniel Smith and I love them, this one doesn’t flow like the others and is very greasy, a bit like trying to paint with neat gum arabic.   Interested in the comments on abstract art - the Tate describes it as ‘when elements are removed (abstracted) from an object to create a more simplified form, or when an artist produces something which has no source at all in external reality’.

Edited
by Jenny Harris

Good start by everyone. here is my attempt of fern ice on a window. memories of growing up without central heating, in the 70's 
Here's my interpretation - acrylic ink on mountboard.

Edited
by Michael Edwards

Had a bit of a daub this morning on some black card with gouache.  Started out as an interpretation of icicles but Ive turned it the other way up for a different view
Wow! some fabulous paintings here! Here is my first attempt. I think I probably need more contrast in it though.
Looks good to me Diane - perhaps just the smallest touch of red behind the reed-like blue marks to add a bit of zing but bo more. 
I’m not sure this really counts as an abstract, I keep fiddling and it becomes more of an impression, but it’s based on the snow and frost in the garden. I’ll attempt something else before the month is out!
Showing page 2 of 4