And now September 2022 sketch a day !!( or when you can) and chat.

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 66 of 69
I have used Moleskine for several years now and have an ever increasing collection , easy to pop in a large pocket / small bag...takes most sketching mediums.Shop around Robert they do pop up at different prices. Plus there is a landscape or a portrait variety.  Plus there are larger ones.   Have spent the day making more apple juice I have a Swedish contraption a bit space ship in appearance ,it mushes my apples and produces a clear pinkish juice which I freeze and bottle and give away if I like you. Good with gin. In between apples have sketched Clover another rescue doggo... now on gallery...
That’s a lovely sketch Anthony . I have several paintings on the back burner but can’t get enthusiasm for them , so let’s try another my favourite subjects and one that I tend to get stuck into boats . This time it a old Steam tug standing off Liverpool awaiting the ship it is due to tow into the docks,  they used to work in teams of three or four when dealing with large ships so others from the team could be nearby. The initial sketch done from the business end for a change showing the towing rig etc. 
My Uncle Vic, who ran the aquarium and reptile house at Bristol Zoo, was not fond of poor old Johnny Morris - 'comes down here, earns more than any of us keeepers, puts his hat on, gives the animals daft voices, then buggers off again'.   Well, I can understand the regulars being peeved about that!   Will get a Moleskine; and Paul, looking forward to seeing the next steps with your boat.  Sylvia - your apple juice good with gin, you say?  My dear, have I ever said how much I admire you?  
Lovely sketches everyone. I've been working on the face a bit more and I've just done an elephant sketch for the September challenge. I've been reading more about some of the eastern artists today. I've just cleared up my paints and pencils and I'm going to have some tea. I must say Gin and apple juice sounds very nice and I might even try it if I could drink alcohol but I'm sure the mere aroma would have me passed out.
Sketch a of today - well, who's counting?  Yesterday - of Henry Tonks, taken from a number of photos from when I was introducing his work.  This is with carbon pencil, in my rather nice Artgecko sketchbook.  
And this one really is a sketch from today - mucking about on a spare bit of printer paper, with a very old sable-mix brush (don't think there's much of the sable left) and Davey's Grey watercolour, for which I've never found a good use before: not a good photo, not a great dry-brush sketch, but it suggests to me that Davey's Grey could be quite good for monochrome sketches, and I'll make more of an effort next time.  Hang on - this is ACTUALLY a rough in my sketch-book, not on printer paper at all. I get confused; not as young as I was, etc.  
Nice sketch’s Robert , like the second one I’ve used grey for monochromatic sketch before and find it really quire good . You can get quite a range of tones , often Payne’s and a Daveys grey are dismissed as a fairly useless colour but have there uses like most things. 
That's one stern man Robert...like the atmospheric feel to your little sketch. Though I am not a fan of ready mixed greys either Daveys or Payne's.   I have no problem Paul with either Payne's or Davey it's just I prefer to mix my darks and contrasts from my painting colours .  I can see they work nicely...most of the time....though that Payne's can be a bit of a killer .

Edited
by Sylvia Evans

I struggled to find a use for Davey's Grey, until I realized it was basically a green.  A strange colour - but applied with an ancient brush it has possibilities.  Paynes Grey - well, Rowland Hilder used it, and Lamp Black, and Neutral Tint, but I agree with Sylvia that it can be a killer - I've seen Alan Owen use it, in skies ... and he makes it work; but I freely confess that I can't.  In its place I use any number of different mixes - Viridian and Burnt Sienna, Ultramarine and Burnt Sienna, Indian Red and any green, Prussian Blue and Burnt Sienna, or, in watercolour, Burnt Umber.  All of those have more life in them - I find Payne's Grey - in general - like painting with wet soot.  But then - I think many of us struggle with particular colours - for example, I'm not keen on Ultramarine in skies, even though it granulates nicely in w/colour: not as a sky blue, anyway.  
still in France with poor Internet connection just one of many holiday sketches...
I do like Payne's Grey, Davey's Grey, I must admit, I don't use it much, I've maybe used it twice. Nice sketch Bari and I hope you are having a nice time.
Well you are all on a roll and they are all so different! Putting me to shame as I haven’t done any sketching over the past few days as life got in the way! Interesting chat about Paynes grey and Daveys. Never used the latter but I do sometimes use it in line and wash.  It would be interesting to hear what you thought of the tinted charcoal pans Robert if you get around to trying them out. Here are two older sketches I did earlier this year.
Showing page 66 of 69