And now September 2022 sketch a day !!( or when you can) and chat.

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 67 of 69
Haven't bought the charcoal yet, Gillian.  Patience, patience: all will be revealed in the fine fat fullness of time...  
Some nice pieces on display here. I'm looking forward to seeing Paul's tugboat develop as I'm rubbish at painting boats for some reason, and Denise's crucifixion painting as I liked the watercolour you did. Bari's marketplace has some nice figures I've used Paynes Grey a lot, but never heard of Davey's so I'll have to seek that one out - I usually mix my greys when I'm outside as I only take a little W&N set out with me but have tubes of the stuff at home.  I did the picture below today as I managed to get a couple of hours to myself. It's a fallen tree that had collapsed into the river and has been pulled onto the bank. I also managed to pick a load of blackberries which seem to be having a bumper crop now for some reason.  Still looking for a suitable elephant reference. It's all go. 
Denise Gillian , Bari , Robert and Andrew love sketching folks . I do ad you know use Payne’s grey but not to darken colours as it makes the opaque.  A update on the tug for Robert and Andrew still a lot to do as this is mostly base colours hood to finish it off tomorrow. 
Looking good!  I'm working on an oil: it has reached the God-help-us! stage, but I'm hoping it's all come out in the wash.
I know that feeling I get that with every painting I do , this one was at that stated just before I posted it . 
Nice work Andrew and Paul. I did a line and wash this evening after visiting the subject earlier today
Very nice sketch Denise - I looked up the location on Wikipedia -interesting horizontal watermill with all its pieces intact.  By coincidence I took a walk yesterday and started this sketch of the river at Olney which becomes the mill race for the now defunct Olney mill.  I had started a more detailed watercolour and needed a distraction and a walk.
Great sketches Gillian. I'm about a quarter of the way through my big painting. It is giving me some good practice. I've not decided on a garment yet so I just threw some ochre on while I decide but I've got loads to do on the face and body yet. I'm in no rush to get it finished. I know it won't be everyone's cup of tea but here it is so far.
So much work Denise ..it's looking good.  Andrew I do like you line work....it worked really well.  Nice sketch Gillian.
Liking your line and wash work, Andrew - and Denise: you have great ambition - I notice that with young people, and with late art-starters .... they don't hang about, but charge straight in.  I can just remember being like that myself around (figure concealed) years ago.  I painted everything from tea sets to elephants to sparrow-hawks and hen-harriers - things I'd hesitate before tackling today, and put off - finding almost anything I just needed to do more.  Maybe there IS something to be said for that level of caution?  But - I don't think you'd have made the progress you have if you'd employed it: I wonder if Sylvia has ever suffered it. 
Not too sure I'm quite on your wave length Robert.   I do know I am so full of admire for Denise's approach and the results she is getting...sorry Denise ,either turn a deaf ear or enjoy the compliments...Two old fogies discussing you out loud...
Thanis Robert and Sylvia, when I attempt something, I never really know if it's in my capabilities but I aways go in with hope and determination that the finished thing will look reasonable but I don't actually know till I reach the end.
Showing page 67 of 69