And now September 2022 sketch a day !!( or when you can) and chat.

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 65 of 69
A quickie Owl....what a hoot.  ...like him.
A very fine owl Paul , especially in 25 minutes . The mouse is a nice addition.
Thanks Marjorie, Sylvia and Andrew it was fun to do . I bought some white charcoal pencils , never seen it before I always though charcoal was  black. Anyway thought I’d have a test run and dis a selfie, might use it as my passport photo. Quite happy  spending short time messing about with them , problem for fine Ines etc is the blunt very quickly.

Edited
by Paul (Dixie) Dean

Done a time ago ( ten years) and popped up. I think this is Marjorie's neck of the woods.Northumbrian coast sitting opposite Lindesfarn.   I remember doing it sitting Ona tree stump.  Watercolour A5 Moleskine sketch book?
Great sketching everyone, you’ve been very busy! Paul you are spot on with your comment about how quickly the white charcoal goes down! Same with soft pastel pencils. Great gorilla by the way! I will have a go at a sketch later as I finished the painting earlier
Quick pencil sketch
Love that knowing Gorilla - a Gorilla who knows the world, and has seen a thing or two. I wonder if those charcoal sticks come in different grades - I have a few (now I look at them, very old!) charcoal pencils of quite a hard grade: the one I'm using at the moment is graded 2B, while my carbon pencils are all B's... much softer than that, and I'd have trouble with them.  Memo to self, as well: try out these coloured charcoals, and also invest in some vine charcoal, and stop being mean with materials!  I do like my conté crayons, though - lovely to use, if not exactly geared to fine detail. 
Great sketches Sylvia and Gillian. A white charcoal sketch from me . He is thinking It’s going to be boring now cousin Boris has gone and I don’t think this new comedian will be as funny. 
That's a great chimp picture - white charcoal is a new one on me. I can't imagine Lizzy will be any less entertaining than Bozo - as The Who once said - "Meet the new boss- same as the old boss". 

Edited
by Andrew Roles

No 'live' sketches from me today as I'm supposed to be working, but here's a view across open farmland I did a few days ago.

Edited
by Andrew Roles

Are you another lover of the Moleskine pads, like our Sylvia?  I've never used them, but am thinking of it, on my next art-spend.   And Paul - you're bringing a lot of character to your ape pictures: a very quizzical look in your chimpanzee's eyes.  Think he's been having a conversation with your gorilla.  Both remind me of the playful young gorillas who kidnapped a keeper at Bristol Zoo (which closed its doors on the old site this week)..  One of them reached out when the keeper's back was turned, and slipped an arm gently around his neck; the other whipped the cap off his head and proceeded to play with it.   Gorillas don't say "tee hee!" but their faces and demeanour did.  Poor keeper was very embarrassed - he was released eventually, and at least managed to keep his glasses.  
Yes, it's a Moleskine Watercolour sketch book. Just slightly smaller than A5, but adequate for my needs and I like the paper. There used to be a painter on this site called Jenny Oldknow and she did lovely pen and wash pictures. She recommended them. She's disappeared now along with her gallery.  I remember Jonny Morris's "Zoo Time" programme which came from Bristol Zoo. I'm showing my age.  
Showing page 65 of 69