And now September 2022 sketch a day !!( or when you can) and chat.

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 2 of 69
I think it was Margaret Nisbet that started the sketch a day. I think originally it was her own challenge for the month of January a couple of years  ago and it carried on for the rest of that year. Some of us dropped out but it has carried on thereafter by all you lovely avid sketchers……and long may it continue!
That’s a great sketch of a boot , i would be proud to do that, please tell her she is a very good artist.  I do believe you are correct Fiona , It’s seem so long ago that it all started , I find it good discipline to sketch regularly as it has a knock on effect with my painting. I must this year get my butt outside and do a lot more sketching . Thank you Margaret to the initial kick start and all those who have contributed and kept it going , it would be good at the end of this year to be having a similar conversation. 
I do pop in to look but don’t participate now, I’m painting small paintings which seem to have taken over. As Fiona has said, it was Margaret who started it off. Gillian, I have the same set of charcoals in pans, also a Xmas gift. I’ve yet to try them out. I also have a set of tinted charcoal pencils. There’s so much to try out, today for me it’s a small painting again. I’m fascinated by water at the moment.
Great sketch with the tinted charcoal Gillian. Excellent drawing of Sam from your granddaughter Sylvia. Love the boot Ellen. I sketched Robert as he put a bit of a challenge on one of the post's. I'm just in the process of doing it in pastel. I've been a few hours on it so far and have been really enjoying it. The photo is black and white and I've been trying to imagine it in colour, very hard from the photo. Here is the sketch anyway.
Ver' good.  When you finish it, think of my face as I remove these blasted Mama Wotshername posts, to get the right hint of misery and despair.....
Well, here it is Robert, don't shout. Just finished.
Excellent work Denise, would that be a touch of Brylcream on those shiny locks Robert...
Well I think it’s a good likeness to the photo , be interesting to see what Robert thinks. Fir someone who has just taken up painting portraits it is really very good , you should be pleased  with yourself Denise. 
Poor sad little boy.  A super portrait Denise .  My afternoons play.   My friend lives in the middle of Liverpool she took this pic a couple of days ago.  Her cat FC  Fat Cat  meeting mr Squirrel eating the bird food .

Edited
by Sylvia Evans

Denise - you have the makings of a genius.  That's excellently done, particularly as there wasn't much shade in the original photograph to help with defining the shapes, but it was quite a clear one (professionally done by a photographer who tried but patently failed to cheer me up) and I thought it'd be good to work from.  You've surpassed yourself with this, and I don't say this just because it's the Lovely Me.   Sylvia - not only the cat is fat, that squirrel has been leading the good life...
Excellent work Denise, would that be a touch of Brylcream on those shiny locks Robert...
Bari Marsh on 02/01/2022 15:26:50
Yes - you remember the filthy stuff too, eh?  Like having butter plastered over your head - white, it was... yuck.  There was also stuff called Trugel, which was like using glue (a bit later, I think) - the other hair product 65 years ago was Brilliantine, of which I have vaguer memories: probably 'orrible.  It's amazing I'm not bald, but then I did stop using anything at all not long after this - and in passing, remember a snide youth at school who said I should be ashamed of my unkempt hair: he's now as bald as a coot, tee hee, whereas I have a full and lustrous head of hair, not that I'm one to boast.........
Robert, I am very relieved to hear your comments and thanks very much. It was a very good photograph to get some practice from and I really enjoyed doing this today. Sylvia, thanks and I love your painting of FC and the well fed squiral. Thanks also Bari and Paul.

Edited
by Denise Cat

Showing page 2 of 69