And now September 2022 sketch a day !!( or when you can) and chat.

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 3 of 69

Edited
by Gillian Cooke

Well done Denise, is there nothing you can’t turn your hand to? It’s great to have been seeing you develop from when you joined POL! Great likeness of the the young Robert in all his Brillcream glory😉. Lovely sketch Sylvia ! Also there are some very talented. Grand children on here!!  My daughter has a love of lighthouses and we were talking about Start Point, Sanday, Orkney, which is very unusual as it’s has vertical stripes and the only one in Scotland painted that way. This is today’s sketch in charcoal.

Edited
by Gillian Cooke

Gosh, you're busy already. Rather plump squirrel (too much overindulgence at Christmas?) and very good rendition of an unusual lighthouse, Gillian. Glad some have turned to portraits, as I'm trying to get some more practice at sketching before I put paint to panel. Working on another portrait of my wife, pencil first, charcoal then paint. Have a feeling I'm going to have to find some better paper for charcoal - keep getting dark patches that won't erase - preferably a smoother surface. So far....
That’s a lovely lighthouse Gillian and thanks for the information about it I like having these odd bits of knowledge. Your portrait work is looking really good  Ron. Two work in progress sketches , the horses are in my sketchbook that in doing for my two youngest granddaughter’s. The other for a painting of a Brixham sailing trawler offshore, there are a few still sailing as pleasure boats .
Nice to see you again Ron! Good prep sketches of your wife! Like the ponies and boat Paul. The lighthouse is on Sanday one of the outer isles here. Was out a walk this afternoon and took a photo of this old canon. 
Thanks Gillian and thats a great lighthouse and a good sketch of the cannon. They are lovely drawings of your wife Ron. Good sketches Paul, lovely to see the horses back.
Here I am again. It’s very windy and wintry up here in Orkney!
Well Gillian, we have a Start Point with a lighthouse here in Devon, but it isn’t painted like yours.  I thought that Trinity house had standardised the painting style of all our lighthouses, but obviously not.  The Devon Start Point, is quite close to Brixham, the source of Paul’s trawler.  Love your wind swept dog Gillian.  Perhaps you could do with some trees for shelter.  I will have to look for some pics of lighthouses.  I feel a sketch coming on.
Nice  sketching everyone you can almost feel that wind on the poor wee dog..I did this picture up in Portmahomck
Nice work Gillian , poor wee dog look blown  away nearly. Like the light house Bari.  A very quick watercolour sketch, my son  who is 50 going on 6 at time was talking to my six year old granddaughter, he is the sort that will not even let a child win a game . The chatters was I can do this quicker than you etc, Evie then said my grandad can do a painting in mmm ten minute, this of course was a challenge my son would not let go, go on then get him to do one . This is the result in nine minutes forty five seconds, timed my son to the split second , very wet in wet  . Comment was it’s not a real painting is it’s more of a blur it dose t really count , to be told by the six year old “ bet you can’t do it , and it would be rubbish if you did” , shocked as she is normally a very  polite young lady 

Edited
by Paul (Dixie) Dean

Kids and a bet you can’t challenge. I would say it’s an atmospheric painting!  Just playing with pastel pencils again
Great variety of sketches, the dog captures the moment Gillian, I like that very much. My sketch, well, it's just a concept really, putting in some basic shapes of what I might work into a more detailed drawing and then maybe, something to paint. I will probably do a few, then decide what to work on in more detail and then decide if it's worth painting.
Showing page 3 of 69