Old project-FRESH start ;)

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 6 of 6
Pog, well done. You are quite meticulous with your work, and it shines through.
Portraits are hard work - the more so if you find your paint sinking into the canvas: oil-primed linen shouldn't allow that, prompting me to wonder how well it was primed - if you use it again, you might try adding your own oil/white lead priming; too late for this one, of course.  Colours known to sink in include the umbers, especially burnt umber: it doesn't look as if you used that, though?   The other culprit can be too much Turpentine or other solvent.  A combination of burnt umber and Turps could be quite problematic, in terms of getting the paint on - not a problem otherwise.   Press on!

This post has been removed as it violates our forum rules and guidelines.

● Carol thank you for your kindness ;) You know, I was always stunned with photo-like artworks... I was amazed how the artist can create such details, that can mimic perfectly the true seen... So my way of making artwork is to replicate the subject as precisely as I can, but not to make it look like an empty photocopy - if that's come in sense. I've seen drawings been compared side to side, to show of how perfectly the drawing's matching the reference - there's no art soul involved to me. It's empty to me - does it make sense what I'm trying express Carol? So I'm doing my best to make my artwork as close as possible to the reference, but avoid it being  an empty photocopy same time... So even though I'm trying be precise, and detalist, I'm letting myself being free with my strokes too... I love to have my artwork involve both words - the realism and art feeling into one. Thank you for your keen words ;) Robert thank you for your kind comment my friend. The canvas it's Jackson's hand made Belgian Linen oil primed board... Now we both can see of how well it's primed - don't we? I wanted to try it, and it's my first painting on this surface (previously I've been practicing on claybord). So yes, the issue I'm experiencing is upsetting. The day I'm painting looks sort of alright... The next day the painting looks flat... Dark tones equals to light tones, the depth is compromised... I've promised myself not to use any solvents (as you remember), so I'm painting straight out of the tube all the time. Burnt Umber is involved into dark tones, hair Robert. Mixed to other colours. This is the first-and-last time I'm painting on this surface - I knew it since I've noticed sinking issue. Therefore my latest project of the RAVEN is made on this canvas - but gesso primed. And I love it. I have realised, that gesso works best for me. -I was practicing on paper - gesso primed. -I was practicing on claybord - bare surface was truoble maker, but then gesso primed - and it was alright. -This present canvas project in here - bare canvas trouble maker... -Raven project on this same canvas, but is gesso primed - and is alright. Following my experience the gesso primed surface is the way I'd like to follow ;) Thank you Robert ;) I've lost motivation to carry on any of my painting at the moment, though... Some of you might be aware the agency workers did start refurbishment of my kitchen... All my kitchen stuff is stored around the living room... Barely I can get to sit on my sofa... In the kitchen not much progress been done since they started nearly two weeks ago? One man comes in per day, he does his job showing off not rush at all, and finishing it way too early? The next day is the mirror of the first day, and so on. I've just lost my mojo(?motivation)... I can't make myself painting while living on rubbish... Strangers coming in and out my house... So this weekend, even though I have free time, I'm not feel fit to make some brush strokes at all? They have promised this week is the last. Well. I can't wait, as it will be nearly 3 weeks in total... They left the kitchen last Friday in condition you can see below... It's after full 7 days since they start... Temporary sink on wooden stand at the middle of the kitchen, bare walls, wires sticking out the sockets...

Edited
by PogArt MasSter

Showing page 6 of 6