Art For Sale

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 3 of 3
It’s a difficult one. I do exhibitions and art/craft fairs, one is coming up in two weeks, the other one in November. I also exhibit some of my paintings in a small local art/craft shop. I know from the owner of the shop that customers have viewed my work on painters on line. Of which, one particular one sold because of it.  So I suppose it’s watch this space. I like the idea of a virtual gallery with different coloured stickers, instead of ‘for sale’.  Ellen
Is it my imagination or are some people now posting works for sale several times? I am sure I have seen some images before, a few days or a couple of weeks ago. I guess that's something that might happen more often now if someone wants to sell a piece. There's nothing stopping artists to keep uploading the same piece over and over again so it stays close to the top of the list of paintings for sale. 🙄 Obviously not what the gallery is designed for.  I think the sale option is a good one, but it isn't effective and potentially open for abuse. It does need control, and it also needs a search facility so buyers can peruse paintings of interest, without having to go through an endless list. That would mean though that tags need to be used, such as the ones that we tick when we upload them (but more specific, rather than just animal, it would need to be which one etc.). 

Edited
by Dylan F Jeskye

I think it would also be a good idea to have a choice whether an uploaded piece is displayed in the public gallery or not. Some artists might want to upload most of their artwork for it to show on their account, but for some reason don't want some to show in the gallery as such. 
Yes Dylan, repetitive posting of the same artwork is becoming evident. Probably not a lot POL can do about it, but frankly it’s irritating to say the least! Inevitable that this would happen.
Why not just a specific gallery for pics for sale.  Not on the general gallery but all on their own. You may gather from that I’m not completely in favour of for sale  anyhow. I’m not. But so be it.  As you say...Dylan I think it’s open to abuse .
A separate gallery would have been my preferred option also Sylvia, but POL saw things differently.
Having just posted that I felt I has seen a 'For Sale' item uploaded for the second time, I have to agree.  Given that there have been plenty of posts in the past either hinting or brazenly declaring items for sale, sometimes with a price, I don't see why POL should not benefit financially, as would any other gallery.  But I would agree, a separate 'For Sale' section which did not detract from the traditional gallery, is well worth thinking about.
The way I understand it (might be wrong), once the trial period is over you will have to pay in order to offer your work for sale.  That might go some way to help with the issue.
Just had a reread of this thread. Plus I had a scroll through the for sale pics. Apart from the odd exceptions nothing appealed to me at all.  It’s been on the go now for about a month I wonder how successful it is.  Talking with a local artist friend we both discover we have an abundance of past work littering our homes, under beds, in cupboards ,plastering walls.  We had a discussion about how to get rid of it.  One suggestion for next spring is to find a “pop up” shop , rent it for a couple of weeks and have a Knock down art sale.   Anyone ever done anything like this ? We could have  Bogof section...thoughts anyone ?  
Very tempted to do just that - I have a lot of work here, tucked away in various places; some on the walls, but a lot of it in drawers of stacked up against those walls and bookcases.....  Some of it is OK, by my standards: one or two I'm reasonably pleased with, and would like to frame and sell; others really - I wouldn't want to let them out with my name on them: some are just awful. but I usually destroy those; others just dull, or clumsily done, or simply not very good: makes me wonder what on earth stops me just throwing the duds out, but a BOGOF sale seems quite appealing.
In reply to Sylvia’s post I am a member of Hull Street Art, each year we rent a pop up shop around Christmas to sell our accumulated work. This year we are renting a stall at Trinity indoor market Hull from 1st November until end of December. 16 artists sharing the £800 cost although half the costs coming from our group funds. A minimum of 2 artists a day to cover the stall over the period. I usually sell most from my bargain bin section unframed unmounted watercolours for £10 each plus art cards at £1. You don’t retire on it but it usually covers next years paint and paper etc..
John ,thank you for your positive reply. It’s good to hear that someone has actually done this.  Hopefully I can  get something together for next spring  
Showing page 3 of 3