October 2022

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 1 of 6
Seeing how popular the discussions on inspiration from artists have been recently, I thought this month might be a good opportunity to challenge you to paint in the style of your favourite artist. look forward to seeing who you choose!
Not an easy challenge.  Roger Dean is one of my all-time favourite artists - this isn’t exactly ‘in the style of’ but was definitely inspired by him.  Done a while ago.

Edited
by Jenny Harris

That looks great Jenny, clever you.   Am now tossing ideas about in my head I know who I want to a pastiche of....but not sure if I can..
I have a number of top favourite artists, I'll be having a good think about this one. Lovely painting Jenny.

Edited
by Denise Cat

Love that Jenny… I would have to go for Rowland Hilder, I attended a masterclass with him back in 1985. Like Jenny, one I did earlier! ‘A crisp autumn morning’ quarter imperial on Fabriano 400lb Not watercolour paper.

Edited
by Alan Bickley

Really like this style Alan, fairly limited palette but so effective with all those lovely darks.

Edited
by Jenny Harris

Arthur Rackham is another great favourite.  I doubt if anyone would recognise this as being in his style, but it was inspired by his work!  

Edited
by Jenny Harris

I did this abstract piece years ago in spray enamel on box canvas - inspired by Mark Rothko. Don't know if it works but I like it.
Interesting results.  Jenny made a good point, she was inspired by an artist's work, but the resulting painting wasn't in his style.  Like you, I guess, I spend a lot of time looking at artworks, I hope some of the things I see do inspire me to start making a picture.  Jenny's comment sparked my interest because I was, and still am, inspired by the same artist....Arthur Rackham.  Back in 2014 I had a magnificent book on Rackham as a present.  The wonderful images inspired me to make this picture... ...nothing like his work.  I was still using a dip-pen back then.  Then stopped in favour of throw-away drawing pens.  Oddly enough I've recently gone back to dip pens, the throw-away pens are wonderfully convenient, but something is missing. This picture was inspired by 'you-know-who' and Beryl Cook...doesn't really look like either, but is nudging towards Beryl... On occasion, I do copy artwork.  A learning experience, but I never feel that it's my work.  Here's a copy of one of Gianni Strino's paintings, an Italian artist whose work I admire.  He paints in oils, this is watercolour.  It's also 6 x 4 inches, painted at a time when I had a fad for postcard size pictures... Looking at artworks is one of life's great pleasures, and can't help but be inspiring at the same time.
If you want any of the artist you name included in the inspiration for Artists please let me know. .
I've always had a huge admiration for Van Gogh..these are two I did some years ago.  Gouache on mount board. One is me with my grand daughter and I used it as a Christmas card that year , Grandmother and child. The other one is something I see on a regular basis. The shepherd. 
The granny one is blooming gorgeous Sylvia! Shepherd and sheep also lovely.
Showing page 1 of 6