February 2022

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 28 of 31
It's been a couple of days since I posted my effort.  Despite a few clues it's vanished into the depths of this thread...like Marjorie's last effort.  (I didn't know that one).  Only to be expected, I suppose.  There are so many wonderful artists, we can't know them all.  So I'm going to reveal all... ...Carl Larrson 'The start of the crayfish season', 1899, watercolour and pen.  A Swedish artist (1853-1919) and part of the arts and crafts movement.  He painted many murals and oil paintings, but it's his watercolours of his home and family that he's remembered for.  I prefer these...but I would.  With his wife, he redesigned the farm he owned, especially the interiors.  As colour reproduction came to the fore in his time he was able to produce richly illustrated books about his home, the farm and his family...the books were hugely successful. He was also a notable portraitist in oils and watercolour.  He wrote of enjoying painting his farm and its activities to get away from 'the tyranny of getting a likeness in portraiture.'
I forgot to say my 'fragment' was the girl bottom left.  (It's way back in this thread).
Lewis, I’d not heard of Carl Larsson and didn’t think of a Swedish artist - if I’d searched Swedish Arts and Craft Movement would have found it!  Will look at more of his work, this is a lovely painting.  

Edited
by Jenny Harris

I can only repeat all Jennie has said. Another beautiful painting capturing time and memory, and I will look him up. Thank you for another eye opener!
Marjorie, had just about given up on yours - had looked at all the artists I thought it might be - and then searched for silver teapot!  Think this is the one?   Sir William Nicholson - ‘Silver’.   

Edited
by Jenny Harris

Yes Jenny, you’re right! Well done. I thought it would be easy because Fiona had done Ben Nicholson and the connection between the two ( though very different styles). I also had it on the gallery a time ago.
Well I’m way behind on this thread and have to say I’m rubbish too! Just looked up Carl Larson, Lewis, what an amazing artist, he produced some lovely paintings.
It seems Jenny has an alter-ego as a sleuth.  This thread has a companion piece in Dixie's 'who's your favorite'.  Most of us said it's hard to pick one.  This challenge reminds us of that fact, for myself I need to add Rackham, Dore, Larsson, and Steadman as favorites.  Several other artists here have been admirable and inspirational.  So maybe the other thread should be 'who are your top 50 artists?'  Is 50 enough?
Would there be room for 50 paintings?😳😆
I will change the title Lew , not sure if we can do fifty I will just say who are your Favourites.
Sorry double posting, by a silly old sod . 

Edited
by Paul (Dixie) Dean

No need for that Dixie.  Everybody has already said it's tricky, but it doesn't hurt trying to pick the 'one'.
Showing page 28 of 31