This could go horribly wrong.

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 6 of 6
I bet there's nothing to be disappointed with at all... I wish I could achieve such rich & living painting Paul 👍👍👍
Thank you Art , I wish I could do portraits as well as you do , so we all like what others do more than our own work.  Our inner critic can be very critical and only let us see mistakes, I picked up a brush to painted the face of the shepherd in this paint I don’t know what was on the brush but I’m having problems getting colour on the face . I have tried white acrylic, scratch surface, and it still doesn’t take the colour, I will try a small tinted acrylic paint and hope it works . 
It looks ok as it is, Dixie, shepherds have that weathered look after many years of being out in the elements, believe me. An appealing subject.

This post has been removed as it violates our forum rules and guidelines.

Thank you Carol for you encouraging comments, I will fix it but decided to leave it a day or so as I’m ready frustrated with the damed thing . I have start a couple of other paintings in the meantime, this is another rainforest one , damp misty day with the light struggling to shine through completely. It on A4 handmade paper with a very rough texture, I’m painting small areas at a time wet in wet , it’s too rough for the sponge to work so it a case of stippling. 
The moss effect works very well on the rough paper, Dixie, better than the sponge method, to my eye. Would it be possible to indulge me, and put a polypody or two in the foreground or maybe growing from between the rocks? If not, maybe another time.
Well I had thought about adding some of the understory plants . I will at some stage do just a tree branch with all the plants growing out of the moss , it’s what makes these forests so unique. 
I think this one is even better than your first - I like the simplicity of it (well, relatively speaking) and the way your colours work together, especially in the trunk of the tree.  You haven't got too much yellow in the greens here, they're a natural colour - the greens of lichen and moss can in fact be startlingly green - but on the whole, especially in watercolour, I think it's better to desaturate them somewhat.  While you might want to strengthen the lower right corner a bit, and maybe even sharpen parts of the lower middle-ground, I think you've done a fine job with that tree, which doesn't need ANY further work!  
As for the shepherd's face on the other painting - I think I'd say leave it, Dixie, 'es not worth it......  Probably you got a touch of grease, even sweat from your hands, on that area: you should be able to lift it out by flooding it with clear water, but I don't think it matters at all: and having been there myself more than once, I know of the danger of making it a lot worse if you work at it, and get more frustrated.  He looks fine as he is, anyway.  Rather than get uptight about him, I'd be inclined to give the painting some stronger shadows, to better indicate the direction of the light - I think it could transform the picture if you were to try that.  But - you know what you want to achieve, so this is just an observation on my part. 
 Thank you Robert for your comments on both painting , I had come to the conclusion that the shepherd was a lost cause I’ve tried to wash off the area but to no avail.  I will tidy up the area around his head and post it on the gallery. The tree I shall leave alone as I’m happy with it , I’m going to finish off the large moss covered stones and darken in around them . Overall I’m quite pleased with it and it dies demonstrate that using a good and correct textured paper adds so much to the painting. It’s still a work in progress and needs several tweaks to get it finished off .
Paul, I’m putting this here, hoping it will catch your eye. I did reply to you on Monday but have just had the notification that the message didn’t get through. I apologised because I was late , I mistakenly thought it was next Monday ( A. And L. Goudie). All’s well and all that.
Thank Marjorie I was concerned that maybe you were unwell as I know you would have posted your intro . anyway it certainly was worth waiting for . Relived that it was because you mixed the dates up, I’m alway forgetting things , I was late starting the thread on Sunday as at seven o’clock because I forgot . 
Showing page 6 of 6