Starting an oil painting for the first time.

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 6 of 10
Finished Denise.....I think. Thoroughly enjoyed following your demo Alan, thank you for the inspiration.

Edited
by Fiona Phipps

It looks great Fiona, well done, I don't know how you found the time with all the paintings you are doing at the moment but it's a fantastic job you have done of Alan's demo.
That's beautiful Fiona.
I was thinking about doing some practice while I'm waiting for my book to arrive. I got some small canvas boards to practice on so if I make a mess, I won't care much about flinging them. I'm just going to do something basic. What I was wondering about is, can you paint oils on top of a very dark background. I did it with an acrylic painting, one I posted of the candle and apple. I liked watching the objects develop out of an almost black background. Can this be done with oils or will I be wasting my time trying it. Thanks.
I know others on here have used black as a ground, but personally I’m not keen on the idea and isn’t generally adopted by many professional artists these days. There are several reasons for this which I won’t go into now. But you’re not a professional, so do give it a try and let’s see what happens!  This method is based on a technique called chiaroscuro, where maximum contrast of tones is used, usually with a single light source. You may find it helpful to look at the work of Caravaggio, he used this technique extensively.
Denise, I think there is a past thread on the forum discussing using black as a ground. I know Alan isn’t keen on the idea but there are professional artists that do use this technique, as do a few on the pol site, me included.  Marjorie Firth does some extraordinary oil paintings on a black ground, have a look in her gallery for examples. One in particular I can think of, is an oil of Hawick gardens, it’s fabulous and I think won a prize in the TALP competition this year. If you find the old thread Marjorie did post a few examples on there. I have a canvas I have just put a couple of coats of black gesso on for my next oil.....what a coincidence! Go for it gal!
I don’t like it because you can’t judge your tonal values, you’re starting at the extreme scale which is obviously black. However, I concede that I’ve seen some exceptional work on here. Like Fiona, I was also thinking of Marjorie as well, possibly Linda also but I could be wrong...
Thanks Alan, I will look these things up. Fiona, I will also take a look at the things you have mentioned, thanks.
Found it! The thread I mentioned earlier is “oil on black hmm” posted 10 months ago , hope you can find it. Marjorie’s paintings are on there.
Thanks Fiona, I just took a look at the post, very interesting. Marjorie's painting were stunning. I just wanted to experiment while I'm awaiting my book. I'm impatient and want to get the oils back out again. I've got to do boring shopping but when I get back, I'm going to do a burnt umber and black base. It won't be completely black but almost I think.
If you don’t want to go to a full black, how about an ultra marine and burnt umber mix? 
One problem with painting in oil on a black background/base is that oil paint becomes gradually more transparent over the years - so your painting will be likely to darken, and no amount of cleaning or varnish will be able to correct it. However - this takes a very long time to show; i.e. I, and probably you, will have joined the Choir Eternal when (or if, since little is ever certain) it does. Incidentally, I received my copy of Haidee-Jo's book this morning, having taken advantage of the POL offer - MUCH, much better for me in this form; and apart from the visual aspect, I've got a real book in my hands.   Unfortunately, I can't stand up to the easel at the moment - low pressure area is probably contributing to my back pain, which is, to put it mildly, a perishing nuisance - I'm not keen on painting sitting down, and even that would be difficult at the moment.   Painful, me duck - you'll be very familiar with all that: frustrating is just one word for it! , 
Showing page 6 of 10