Portrait

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
I posted this portrait in the gallery, but it soon became clear that it wasn't finished as I'd thought it was. I've done more work on it so the question is....have I got a finished picture, or do I need to do more to it?  This was the original version. I'm hesitant about doing any more to it, but let me know what you think, Peter
There doesn't seem to be any point me posting on here again.  Peter
It’s sad that you feel there is no point to posting again. I did not answer your question as I was not sure what to say, for me the only person who can say if it’s a finished painting or not is you the artist. Some people put painting on that are not finished completely as that’s the  point they wanted to get to. Out of the two paintings both looked finished to me however I have a preference for the second one. I’m not very good a painting people myself so feel unable to give advice etc. One way is to put it on as a work in progress and ask people for advice , comments etc as you go along.
I didn't see your post for one - the rate of churn, both on the gallery and here on the forum, can be considerable - in other words, posts come and go, and we don't always see them. So far as your painting is concerned, I think you might have taken it as far as you can - I'm presuming it's an oil (it's always useful if you let us know what you've used to paint a picture, because we can then have a better idea of what's possible), and in your place I'd call it done, and move on to your next one, whenever you're ready.  You will find it helpful to work from live models with figure work and portraits, rather than from photos or from your own imagination.  Over time, your basic drawing will improve - it's important to keep drawing the things that attract and interest you: you'll learn more from doing that than you will even from painting.
Agree with Robert here... you need to be looking at ‘live’ models and eventually with some guidance and many hours of drawing, your proportions and drawing skills etc would hopefully improve. At the moment these are some way off! Life drawing is undoubtedly one of the most difficult subjects to master, and you just can’t work from imagination, so my advice would be to move on to more everyday and easily accessible subjects and concentrate on still life or something similar.
Peter, whilst I agree with the points made by the venerable Robert and Alan particularly regarding the value of life drawing, I do feel there is much to be gained from using photographs as a resource especially if you're unable to access a life drawing class. You would do well to heed their advice however, regarding drawing, and practise as much as you can as this is a vital skill to try and master. In my opinion, how well you paint is governed by how well you can draw and believe me, practice does make progress. Don't become despondent and keep posting your work, some of your drawings perhaps? 
Totally agree with you Russell. Drawing is not a chore. It's fundamental to get the basics right to progress properly as an artist. Too many art students out there remember the art teacher at school slapping the ruler down on the desk to make you get the perspective right! That memory of drawing being difficult, hard work and fearful to start with puts many enthusiastic artists off engaging with the basics. Don't. Those days are gone. Drawing if exciting, fun, absorbing and it's just so...well....MARVELLOUS!  So, get some pencils, graphite sticks and as Russell says too, practice, practice and draw as much as you can to make progress.