Landscape.

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 6 of 6
A beautiful atmospheric painting, Denise. You have inspired me, I'm going to have another go at the oil paints.
That is really lovely of you to say Carol. I can't wait to see what you paint. Just go for it, I always do. Persistence, practice and Alan and Robert are always on hand with good advice and tips.
I had some good advice when I first started to paint with oils, from Alan and Robert, brushes, how to use medium etc. and recommended dvd's by Haidee-Joe Summers, and Ken Howard. Watercolour is my favorite, but  its always good to have a change. I'm going to look through my photo files see what grabs me :)
Don't want to put anyone off here!  But I have just abandoned a painting - which doesn't mean I won't show it, as a dread warning - which I loathe!  It looks like a large postcard - I've prettified what is an essentially working scene, using oils on a smooth board: TOO smooth... (I know I've said more or less the same thing on another thread, but it really is a stinker).  It's almost put me off working in oils at all, but of course - we all have our disasters, and the medium doesn't really make or break any painting: it's we who do that, and in this case - me.  Just you wait for your non-treat!  But also - be encouraged: I've been at this game for donkey's years, and can still muck it up; no one need lose heart because of the occasional failure. But ........ yeuch!
A powerful eye-catching painting by Denise.  I've done so few oil paintings in my time, the almost endless ability to change things with this medium ought to make it a 'must' for all artists.  Unless...there's always an 'unless'...unless you're like me, a serial doubter, fiddler,  and messer-abouter.  (What a wonderful thing the English language is.)  I'm probably better with mediums that don't allow too much fiddling.  That way I don't waste too much time.   Robert's comment on his abandoned painting strikes a chord, I've just messed up my last two pictures.  Recently I've settled for doing pics that take no time, the easy stuff...one figure and a corny line...maybe an hours work.  Just laziness.  I've thought I ought to cobble these hours together and paint a bigger picture.  I was determined to finish them whatever happened.  Well, 'whatever' DID happen.  Not too happy with them.  Sometimes it's the frame of mind you're in, maybe when I've forgotten what I was trying to do, they won't seem so bad.
I love it Denise. The sky is so brooding and atmospheric and the bison pull it all together.
Yes, of course, I myself have had plenty of failures. It is not to give up or get downhearted but to learn from the failures and try and do better next time.
Very rarely have I sat back after a painting and been completely satisfied - and on those few occasions the doubts have then crept in and then that good feeling goes. Once I spotted a “ corpse” beneath a pile of carefully draped white fabric….once seen, always there. In my usual fashion I tend to blab, same with cooking, baking etc. I was persuaded on that occasion not to say anything and, as far as I know, the recipient remained unaware. But I’ve said before, I never throw anything away although painting over something can be quite exhilarating, letting bits peep through and incorporating them into the new painting. X-rays would be very interesting 😁After painting for years I often wonder why it doesn’t always become easier- well, for me it doesn’t. You solve one problem and then another appears….but, thinking positively, it must be good for the old grey matter….I could be fooling myself though.
One thing that we all do is to have our bad days and no matter how long you have painted or how good you are at it ,it sneaks up and gets you. I think that we all put our selves  down when we talk about our own paintings, I’m always pointing out the mistake or bit I don’t like . As I don’t normally sell my paintings it’s ok but I would have to gag myself otherwise I would loose a sale, is it the Britishness ? don’t be smug etc. Several years ago when I was working in a day centre we were fund raising, I cut up some paintings I didn’t like into book marks sprayed a bit of varnish over them and sold them for a £1 made fifty pound . I have a box of not happy with and occasionally pick one out that I find I like , granddaughters paint on the back of some .
A diverse eclectic range of feeling about the process when the pens and brushes are out. You are right, Dixie, we are our own worse critics. I was asked once 'was I a good artist?'  'I don't know, that is up to the viewer' I replied. What I like about, Denise's painting is that it evoked a feeling of peacefulness. A moment in time when you come across a scene (could be anywhere any time) and you want to stop a while and take it all in. Now that, for me, is a good painting.  

Edited
by Carol Jones

Showing page 6 of 6