Architecture in landscape.

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 3 of 4
I can't see watercolour working at all on cardboard, though gouache probably would.  Acrylic clearly does too, but I'd want to prime the surface first, or you're likely to end up with a very dry, matte-looking paint.  Cardboard is, of course, a term that covers a multitude of sins - I remember the khaki-brown stuff,  that became brittle and cracked in a very short time; thin and horrible, wouldn't be in any way a good painting surface. The back of a sketch-pad would be a different matter to that: much thicker, to start with, and lighter in tone.  But if you do produce a good painting on any cardboard, do ensure you protect the corners, and come to that all the edges, against knocks, and damp.  
I would not want to use cardboard for watercolour, you would loose so much of the translucent qualities of the paint, even if it were primed. There is a reason that manufacturers have spent time developing quality products, particularly paper that enhances the paint you use. I always use the best I can afford, not always the most expensive, but definitely not the cheap stuff you can pick up nowadays. I have used a stretched canvas for a boat painting but that’s what was asked for, it did work quit well , but I would have preferred top quality paper. On the odd occasion that I have a commission, I do use the best as the Clint is paying for it in the end. I will get of my bandwagon before I fill the site  and start to drivel on and on etc. 
I was looking in the tips and techniques section of this website and that prompted my comment on using "watercolour ground".  It also mentioned using acrylic primer for watercolour which is allegedly absorbent!  Has anyone here used "watercolour ground"?
Decent watercolour paper will be gelatine sized (in the main), which prevents the water from soaking too far into the surface. It’s far better to start off with the correct paper for the medium, otherwise you’ll find yourself constantly battling problems that will inevitably arise!
Going back to my painting .  I ruined it today!  I thought that I would try again to lighten the sky by applying another thin white glaze and extend it over the distant trees.  As soon as I applied the glaze it dried instantly and I could not wipe off the white streaks across the trees!  I tried a bit of scratching, but that didn't work.  So I have started repainting bits of the trees.  I know I was pushing my luck with acrylic glazes.  I had considered moving over to oil for this process.  If only I had, I wouldn't have to redo the trees.
I think you've discovered the snag with working on cardboard.  Acrylic doesn't dry instantly, even undiluted, unless applied to an absorbent surface.  Then it does, with a vengeance.  Once the acrylic resin, or the water used, is sucked into the surface, you're left with - toothpaste. 
I think that it had a lot to do with me painting in an unsuitably hot conservatory.  The cardboard had been primed with gesso and a few layers of paint. But here it is again with more tweaks to do.  Definitely overworked now.
That’s fine Linda, not overworked in my view so call this one complete! A positive and bold style with a good range of greens...
Thanks for your words of encouragement Alan.  I’ll look at it again in a couple of days to “sign it off“.
Thanks for your words of encouragement Alan.  I’ll look at it again in a couple of days to “sign it off“.
Linda this is the first painting I ve looked at joined this morning , really enjoyed seeing your lovely landscape 
Showing page 3 of 4