A little boat painting

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Hello everyone,  I am new to this community, and trying to find my way around things. :-) Here's a painting of a boat I am currently working on, I'd appreciate any feedback that you would like to give in order to improve it.  Thank you in advance and all the best, Anna 
Welcome to the site Anna, I’ve seen some work from you on the gallery, I’ll take a closer look later today! Now for this solitary boat - that’s the issue here I think, there’s not a lot going on… you could try adding some features, such as indicating the structure more, split it up into bands of different colour perhaps. Add those things that the oars fit into etc etc… there’s usually ropes and stuff hanging down, that hull shape needs breaking up a bit, it lacks interest to be brutally honest! The water needs roughing up a bit also, perhaps a touch of white ish foam near the bow…and the line where it touches the water is too sharp and precise, break it up a bit! If that red blob is a buoy, make it more prominent and have a rope attached to it from the boat! This is a difficult one to pull off, a single boat which dominates the composition - not something that I would consider doing, but it could work with some additions. This is intended as critique, and not criticism, I try and be as constructive as possible, which is what you’ve asked for! Good luck and let me have your thoughts!

Edited
by Alan Bickley

Thank you Alan for your very elaborate answer and thoughts! Your comment has given me a lot of clarity and ideas, and I shall get back to the studio with those in mind! :-) Also, your comment has made me see that this painting is lacking any visually interesting elements and that the composition requires these. Thank you very much for all your feedback!  All the best, Anna 
Anna welcome , I agree with al that Alan  has said . If you look the rear of the board looks as if the back is missing a simple line will rectify this , you could add a simple plank bench . I would suggest that you add a different colour just above the waterline and some shadow as the bows tapper in and downwards . Benefit from some securing lines , these can be a very different colour to the boat they often have loose ends hanging down . Look forward to seeing how you develop this , by the way boats are not a easy subject to paint of sketch due in the main to the shape and that a lot is hidden under water and you have to make it look like it does , all the reasons why I love painting them.
Hi Anna. In addition to what's been said, unless your boat is brand new it needs some features like wear and tear etc, water level markings and especially construction. Don't get in a panic about detail as you don't have to show  too much , but everything has light and shade and which direction they come from etc . Just keep in mind practise makes perfect ( well, better). You've made a good start. 
Nice tidy little painting Anna , but as Jim commented it's very pristine.  To me it is a pleasant shape nicely painted.     Maybe a pair of oars and row locks ,a deeper shadow under the boat and maybe some scruffy rope attaching it to the red buoy.  
There have been quite a few more comments since I last checked - thank you to every single one of you for all your amazing ideas on this painting. I shall try to incorporate them into the painting as best as I can! Thank you all! :-)