Tone help

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 4 of 4
Agree with Helen there are some good images there , I thing your doing the right thing messing around and playing with colours, shapes , texture, tones etc you will learn more in one painting that hours of watching u tube.  Nothing better than hands on learning , mistakes teach more and we learn what the paint can do without out messing with it, just drop some different colours onto wet paper and see the wonderful results. Have fun while you learn Ross and never stop messing about it’s very refreshing when you in a rut.
Your four examples have some merit Ross, but perhaps try and concentrate on your aerial perspective a bit more! I won’t go into detail because I’ve done so previously, and I’m confident that you understand it. But I will do if you want me to…  There’s lots of simple examples and exercises in that Hilder book - keep at it!
Thanks for the tip Alan, I'll try that. Thanks Helen and Dixie, it certainly is fun and helpful to mess around.

Edited
by Ross Cameron

oops

Edited
by Ross Cameron

It's totally rad that you're getting back into it after 20 years - talk about a comeback! If you need some help with your tones, there are heaps of wicked instructional sites out there that can give you some sweet tips and tricks. Plus, there are some cool practice techniques like experimenting with different gradients and playing with layers that can help you find your groove again. Keep at it, my friend - you'll be rocking those watercolours in no time!
Showing page 4 of 4