September 2023

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 3 of 4
Good stuff folks! My uniform was mainly brown for winter, with those gingham type blue check thingies which you ladies will no doubt remember and a straw boater for the summer. We were strictly not allowed to be seen eating or drinking in the street in uniform. Imagine trying that on the school kids today! I’ll see what I can rustle up from brown and blue check…. By the way Jenny, I like your primrose, pink and green offering, how classy were you compared to the rest of us!? 😉

Edited
by Tessa Gwynne

Tessa, we also had a straw boater for the summer and a horrible bowl shaped dark green felt hat for the winter which most people just stuck on the back of their heads - if the school prefects caught you at it, you’d get a right telling off!

Edited
by Jenny Harris

Ah now Jenny you’ve reminded me of the brown felt hat and awful thick beige tights! How we suffered. 🤭
My uniform was grey with a piccalilli coloured blouse with a bow, can you imagine.
We also had green knickers Sylvia. Horrible thick material like felt. You had to do PE in them if you forgot your kit. Traumatised just thinking about it! 
Bit of a late start for the September challenge but, as some schools have only just gone back, how about painting any subject you like but only using the colours of your old school uniforms?
Painters-Online Team on 06/09/2023 10:02:12 Is this from one school only or if, like me, you went to many different ones a combination of all of them?
Well, Dawn won't know one way or the other, if you don't specify the school - so if I were you, I'd combine them all, and leave POL to picture what you school uniform (a coat of many colours?) must have looked like.   I went to three schools, and between them, they cover all the primaries - blue, red, yellow (obviously) plus touches of black, green, and maroon.  Thus - an awful lot of scope!
Ha Robert...bet you didn't have to wear green knickers as well. Is it just me...or is the well respected art forum deteriorating into a whinge about the British education system... well the athletics bit ? 
Sylvia Evans on 10/09/2023 19:56:18
Our knickers were navy blue Sylvia. The NZ education system in the 1950s into the 60s was completely British-based so I can relate to Robert's rants (I would add algebra to the things we "learned" that I've never had a use for), and your comments Sylvia. I was hopeless at all sports and was unpopular for that. Learning to swim was useful though given how much of our recreation takes place in or on water. Not taught these days and we have problems with drowning.  Uniform was navy, mid blue, more blue, seem to remember something grey but not sure, and white, even I should be able to do something with that. And we weren't allowed to leave the school grounds without hat and gloves!!! If you were seen in town without them you got detention. It was years after leaving school before I would wear blue. This is really taking me back! I'll try to have something up before the end of the month.

Edited
by Sandra Kennedy

Thought I'd just throw in a 3D graphic I created. This would represent My time at UCLA, where the colors are Blue & Gold...
Pretty nice that, Skylar ( “nice” meaning I like it a lot).
Here’s mine.  Autumn Trees in my old school colours of blue, gold and black.  (I had to add some light red).
I like all the artwork already posted, and the comments! My school uniform was a particularly unattractive pale green shirt, maroon tie, dark green cardi, grey skirt. I didn't think I could make anything out of those colours, but then came across a photo of a dark red poppy I took earlier in the summer. So I've tried to make something pretty out of my uniform colours, which were pretty awful. I'm not so good at painting flowers - I've lost the translucency.
Showing page 3 of 4