September 2023

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 2 of 4
Dursley Grammar Robert....in my imagination the colours were grey, yellow and iridescent blue!
Just remembered this one from a few years back - I think it was done for another of the monthly challenges to use recycled material.  Anyway, it has the right colours for my old school uniform - primrose, pink and green.

Edited
by Jenny Harris

Thought I'd have a go, been a bit busy today...so hurried.  I'll try for something better before the month is out. School uniform colours...green-yellow-grey-black.
Jenny that is rather beautiful.and Lewis  is she wearing my green knickers?  Peter I'm not doing a copy ,honest ,just a great minds moment....and I like yours a lot. Mine is stolen, with permission from a lovely lady on F B.  I'm trying out my eyes and keep putting stuff off.   No detail in this just colour and movement.   An experiment.
We never had an uniform, could just wear what "mom" wanted - or not! :-( Great pictures here!

Edited
by Tanja Gerster

It's a British thing Tanja...you missed nothing.
omg, why it is so big? sorry.....
My secondary school didn’t have a uniform (the PTA voted to get rid of it a year after I started that school) - contrary to Robert’s comment above, the lack of uniform created more of a divide between rich and poor kids!
Helen Martell on 10/09/2023 12:59:25
Depends on WHEN you went to school - 60 years ago, there was no polyester, no rayon, no designer labels, and very few parents who could afford to kit out their children outside of the prescribed pattern and usage.  So horrible garments in damp wool and corrupted cotton were passed on through the generations, and looked - and smelled - awful.   You, a young trivet, will not remember those days.  I, aged and sere, remember them all too well.  Hand me downs from brother to brother, sister to sister, possibly parent to sibling - be grateful to be spared this horrible succession of rancid garments.  
Why schools ever equated athleticism with education - as they still do, preaching to us now and then about the value of physical "education", I shall never know.  Except - they do it because they employ those who can just about struggle through in geography (with the aid of IPads, furtively consulted) and can do little else beyond physical jerks: a description which accurately applies to them.   Teachers used to tell me that athlete X learned his or her craft from physical education instructors, much like themselves.  Perhaps so.  And? they were taught and encouraged to kick balls about, bat them, lob with them, and - and why?  Why bother?  Did hitting a ball, or kicking it, advance the sum total of human knowledge in any way?  Did the ability to shin up a rope attached to a stout ring on the ceiling enable one to survive the vicissitudes of life?  Did bouncing on a trampoline add to the mysteries of human existence in any meaningful way?  No!  No, you tedious prawn, all you taught was ways of wasting time in a damp field, with a range of different but never interesting spherical objects; jumping into sand - I mean: why? - vaulting wooden boxes whimsically described as horses, balancing on beams, executing forward rolls - do you really think I'd find that remotely useful, ever?  Well if you did, you were wrong.  I never climbed to the top of your rope, Messrs Parker and Blunden, never tried to, and I doubt that your Herculean efforts to do so ever improved you in any way, since if they did I could perceive not the slightest advantage. You were nice enough, you silly old whatsits, but you wasted your entire lives in trivial nonsense: and I'm glad you were never able to talk me into following your dire example.  No, Mr Parker, I never did learn how to swim; no, Mr Blunden, I never did climb that bloody rope all the way to the top.  And yet, somehow, I've lived for 73 years, or around 60 from the time you tried to shape me, without discovering the slightest need or desire to do so.  Ee, I feel better for that!
Ha Robert...bet you didn't have to wear green knickers as well. Is it just me...or is the well respected art forum deteriorating into a whinge about the British education system... well the athletics bit ? 
Sylvia - a) no; no I didn't have to wear green knickers.  That sort of thing comes to one later in life - though I wish it wouldn't. b) well yes, it was a diversion; but now and then, is a diversion so bad or irrelevant?  Can we not slide into other subjects now and then?  We had a post the other day encouraging us to engage with the world and permit a message; one reflected that in art, messages should not need words; and yet - if they do - words can be employed artistically; they don't have to be confined to the literal, or where would poetry be?  Answer me that, eh?  Can't can you?  (Cf Eric Morecambe.) I think - though of course: I would - that any art forum needs to encompass every aspect of, in particular, education and culture; since that is the field  in which it rests.  It needs must encourage (still with me?) the whole range of education, culture, and education IN culture and vice versa.  Art divorced from more philosophical questions is impoverished; and a new recruit to the forum  ( to whom I referred up above, i.e. a few sentences earlier)  made this point the other day.   Now let me put this more basically, so I can understand it myself.... art encompasses everything; and must; it cannot and should not be sealed away from the "real world", even if we're not entirely sure what that might be; whether it encompasses my blethering about an educational system I hated is, of course, moot.  But - it's all experience, moderated through perhaps biased expression - it all has its part to play; it's surely passion, negative or otherwise (eg, we can't all like pretty flowers and lovely ducklings [I do, as it happens, but I only point that out to avoid unnecessary offence!]) that provokes art in the first place.  That must incoporate anger, prejudice, resentment, contempt, irony, aggression - why shouldn't it; how couldn't it?   Eg = a lot of what I do is promoted by anger: I wouldn't do it otherwise.  It may not show through: I don't intend that it should.  But that's where it comes from in the first place.  Rather than imbue everything I do with resentful fury, I tend to express that in other ways - and then: do a bit of drawing! But it's the anger - there are other words I could use, but do we want psycho-analysis? - that prompts it.  
Lew's chap seems to be missing something - can't quite put my finger on what...................!!
Showing page 2 of 4