February 2022

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 5 of 31
Fiona’s is Joan Eardley, title unknown. Marjorie takes the credit for this, but I know she’s a favourite artist of Fiona’s so would have got there at some point!
This is a very small portion from a well known 19th century painting. I've used gouache, but the original artist used oils. Which painting is it from?  Shouldn't be too difficult.
Marjorie and Alan, you are too good! Not a famous painting but one that tells such a story. “Girl and Chalked Wall” by Joan Eardley. There is more to it, mainly grime muck and more chalk. This is all I did of it…. A line from Edwin Morgan, to Joan Eardley, “Such rags and streaks that master us!”
As many have said, with so much to chose from this is going to be difficult.  Vaguely recognised Alan's, although couldn't pinpoint the exact painting.  Flumoxed by the others...although I like Georgia O'Keefe's work.  Not a clue about Frank's 'you should get this' offering...probably kick myself later.  So I'm offering another 'you should get this'...a fragment of one of my favorite, very famous, paintings.  I have no chance of getting close to this artists style.
I like the Girl and Chalked Wall, Fiona, not sure about Frank's. Lewis is yours Girl with a Hoop, Renoir.
Manet, Lew ?  Yours is better than his .   Frank I’m not sure .  Some lovely paintings and I’m learning about artists I didn’t know . 

Edited
by Sylvia Evans

That’s pretty good Lewis, I knew the artist but had to check the title - Denise is correct, Little Girl With Hoop. I wouldn’t have guessed Marjorie’s, but looking at Joan’s work, it’s fabulous especially Glasgow Girls. Blindfold is a hint for mine
Not Manet Sylvia...I'm wondering if Frank's is Manet, but can't place it.  Denise and Frank have guessed mine was Renoir, both named it as 'little girl with hoop.'  That's not right, but maybe it has been marketed as that in a cut down version.  If so, this could drag on, so I'll name it. It's actually Reniors 'Les parapluies' or 'umbrellas' if you like.  It hangs in the National Gallery. A favorite painting.  Along with Manet's 'A bar at the Folie Bergere' it got me interested in 'fine art', prior to that illustration was my main focus in art.  Still is, but I look at all art now.
You have done it beautifully Lew.
Just looked up Renoir's 'girl with a hoop', it's a different painting.  He did a few pics of children with hoops.  The detail from Les Parapluies that I took is sold as a print called 'little girl with hoop' (cut down more than I have.)  So Denise and Frank were correct...in a way.  Confusing isn't?
Frank, I think I’ve got it! I spent ages yesterday trawling through famous 19th century paintings…..especially military paintings, I thought it was a badge of honour on a sash! Is it, The execution of Lady Jane Grey? With your knowledge of Bradgate Park, which was her family home…I think….good choice. 
I think you are right, Fiona but Frank will tellus. Like you I thought military or maybe a royal portrait but the internet is patchy here so couldn't find out.
Showing page 5 of 31