February 2022

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 4 of 31
Dawn’s brief ‘Pick a painting by a famous artist you love, print it out and choose a small section to really study and paint’ A small section… not the whole image! Well that’s how I read it. The idea is for us all to guess the artist and the title - if you post the whole image then where’s the challenge? I painted a small section of Rouen Cathedral by Monet… easily guessed by a couple of you but nonetheless a bit of fun! Is that so difficult to grasp?
Lol……….thanks Alan…. .no one guessed mine,  can’t say I’m surprised.  It’s part of one of Georgia O Keeffes cow  skulls. A wee bit obscure.  Looking through her work for a bit to paint I realised how much she has influenced me .  Flowers , leaves, shells and yes skulls. Her work is well worth a look. Will find another bit to flummox you with.  .
I’m not sure if you’ll guess this one. I painted a section of one of my favourite artists yesterday. I’ll give you a clue Bauhaus institute! I actually found it quite hard to do!
Well you are all a bit ahead of me. This is going to be interesting, as our art club will be doing something similar later in the year, where we all paint a small section of a famous painting as a group together in less than two hours! The finished paintings will be stitched together and displayed at our exhibition in October. Oh, and I get to choose the painting and I am thinking of The Merchant's wife at Tea by Boris Kustodiev, mainly because it’s so colourful and there are lots of small areas depicting different subjects like bowl of fruit, landscapes, portrait etc., which will suit different member’s styles and techniques.
I must admit I had to look up 'The Merchant's Wife at Tea' but, having done so, it's a great suggestion Frank. 
Paul Klee,  Red Balloon, Ellen, I recently read about the Bauhaus institute, I think I might have watch a program about it. I watch and read so many arty things these days. Frank, I've just had a look at the Russian artist, The Merchant's Wife at Tea is a fine piece. I liked all his other work.

Edited
by Denise Cat

Spot on, Denise. Paul Klee did lots of variations of Red Balloon. I discovered him a few years ago, before we were all closed in the first lockdown. I used to go to a class at the society, where we discussed various artists, then have to paint in that style for homework. On one occasion we talked about Bauhaus, it was very interesting, some of the furniture wouldn’t look out of place now, it must have been really off the wall at that time. 
Yes, Ellen, I think I look it up, when a member mentioned Bauhaus, last year, I think it could have been Micheal. Then I'm almost certain I came across and watched a program about it sometime last year. I thought the furniture very stylish.
I also looked up 'The merchant's wife at tea' by Boris Kustodiev.  What a wonderfully vivid painting.  That's what I like about the forum, you'll often find out about artists you've never heard of.  There are many Russian artists whose work I like...now add Boris Kustodiev.
Another of my favourite artists…..not a good picture, I’ve just done it and the light is poor.
That’s a difficult one, Fiona. Is it a Joan Eardley? I’ll wait till I get home before I join in. Linda - is yours a Caravaggio?

Edited
by Marjorie Firth

Some great  “bits” happening here. Sam and I have been busy celebrating his second Gotcha day….in a doggy play park….he peed a LOT . So will be back soon. 
Showing page 4 of 31