February 2022

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 1 of 31
Hope 2022 is off to a creative start for you all? We had a letter recently from Robert Wild, a 78-year-old leisure painter, who taught himself to paint by studying and copying the Old Masters. During lockdown he decided to work on three paintings by Constable, concentrating on small sections of the paintings at a time and I thought this would make a great challenge for this month. Pick a painting by a famous artist you love, print it out and choose a small section to really study and paint. It could end up quite abstract or far more detailed. I wonder if we can all guess which paintings provided the inspiration too!
Good idea!
I might have a go at this. Sounds interesting.
This sounds very interesting, I've been studying quite a few of the old masters recently and I will be excited to find something and have a go.
This is an interesting challenge! I’ll give it some thought, there’s so much choice.
That’s a good challenge, look forward to having a go, lots of scope.
Something to think about, such a big choice 🤔 
A great challenge Dawn!  One I did seven years ago using the idea of choosing a small section of the original. Not a well know painting in particular but the artist is well known and was one of a Scottish movement.
Assume it was one of the Scottish Colourists?  I love their work, in particular that of John Fergusson, but was this perhaps by Samuel Peploe?

Edited
by Jenny Harris

A quickie and far too easy... Title and artist please! Fiona's is Samual Peploe, I don't know the title...
Assume it was one of the Scottish Colourists?  I love their work, in particular that of John Fergusson, but was this perhaps by Samuel Peploe?
Jenny Harris on 01/02/2022 11:32:07
Speaking of the Scots, there was a wonderful program last night on BBC4 called 'Eye of the Storm' about James Morrison.  I'd never seen him before - beautiful stuff in oil and in watercolour.
My choice. I can't find the exact Peploe.  I thought maybe Kokoshka for Alan's one, but maybe not.
Showing page 1 of 31