Selling on Etsy.

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 4 of 4
A month may not be long enough - I would persist (mind you, you'll have noticed that I don't!) for a while at least.  Give it a year - people have to get to know you and your work, and may want to see a regular supply of same; but I think it's pretty obvious that so many people put their work up there that you're fighting a very hard battle to get noticed. I keep trying to get people to sign up to my blog*, but few have - not surprising, when an offer I received for a painting didn't even get a reply from me: very sorry to Susan, who responded, I'd got so used to no one logging in and commenting that I didn't really follow the thing myself.  Maybe, Peter, you need (and I need) to nurse things along for a while.  Never give up is my motto.  Plus - if you can find something else: go for it.  * https://wightpaint.blogspot.com/
Peter, I’m probably not that surprised, I think Etsy might be at the low end of the market when it comes to prospective art collectors! It won’t be any comfort to you, but I haven’t sold anything this month either, from my two outlets… (not online). Or anything from Artfinder & Saatchi (online). But, its been dead before, then a few sales come in and all is well again… hang in there!
I'm certainly not giving up, as you say a month isn't long.  Against all my instincts I've joined Facebook just to try and reach a wider audience so we'll see what happens. I opened the account so I could set up a page for the Melton art group and then thought while I was there I may as well do myself one as well! 
Quick come-back Peter: I sold a painting a few days ago that I'd shown on Facebook, on PoL, on my blog - anywhere I could.   Nothing: it didn't shift.  Then, people came to see me last week, saw it in the flesh as it were, and bought it, even without a frame: it was actually propped up on the head of my bed (I more or less live in one room, nothing sinister about others being in proximity to my virtuous couch). I think it matters so much that people can find your work in physical, not digital form, right in front of them.  I've sold FAR more from actual, physical exhibitions than I've ever sold online - it matters where your work is shown; we've all hired halls in out of the way places, I imagine.... too out of the way for the casual visitor to come anywhere near them!  But get them in a venue that people actually visit - your work is so much more likely to sell. These days - well without wishing to pull the violins out, I'm pushing 73, I have bad arthritis (is there a good kind?) and I need help to mount an exhibition: most of my former helpers are, sadly, as old as I am.  I'd do it again like a shot, if only I had help with the physical work; but there it is - I should have made much younger friends.... and of course - one hates to ask if one can't really compensate those inclined to help.  But still - I've had my chances and probably had my time - without a gallery to represent me, I conclude that basically, I'm stuffed!  Still - I believe exhibitions, gallery space (with all the many negatives one could say about galleries, eg - commission) are the way to go if you really want to sell.   Joining an art group can help with the work - but, just as a matter of anecdote, I've done very much better with exhibitions on my own - less confusion for the would-be buyer, I suspect.  If you could hire a small village hall or local library to show your work, I suspect you'd do far better than you're likely to do online.   Online follows local, face-to-face exposure - it's unlikely to lead to it. Of course, your work has to be worth buying to start with!  That's the snag for some of us.....  but, if it is, perseverance and local public exposure are far more likely to lead to sales than Etsy, Artfinder, Saatchi: because there's so much choice out there, and people are bewildered by it, so search out known names (and then find they can't afford them, but that's something else again - those looking for an investment are not those to whom I'd wish to sell; which is just as well, because they ain't biting!).
All that's very true Robert  - we do have work on display in Melton town centre as a group but have only sold one picture in the last month. I think sadly that buying art just isn't a priority for people at the moment. Depressing but understandable. Not that it's an excuse for not trying of course. I'm not giving up!  BTW I'm 67 and I'm one of the younger and fitter members of our group. Also depressing!
Hi All I have just signed up today and am new to art.  I have a question to ask about printing.  I drew a few sketches and shared with friends on facebook as my first stab at pencil drawing and someone wanted to purchase but I did not because as I only just started.  I felt it would not be right to charge yet.  But, had I accepted the request to buy, how do you clean up pencil marks and get them ready for print, as it took  hours to create, I would rather create a set of numbered prints say a short run of 30 and sell them but have no idea who to choose to print, how to chose, what to look for, what I should be charged and how other related printing issues.  Any advice would be welcome, if this is not the correct forum I apologise, perhaps I could be directed to the right place or indeed a relevant book.  Thank you.

Edited
by Diane Downer

You're in the right place, no problem with that.  I can't answer your question, I'm afraid, but I hope someone can. I wouldn't hesitate to sell if you've been made an offer, by the way!  It's never too soon to start.  Just one point, on pencil marks - many of us don't remove them, but leave them as part of the picture's scaffolding.  A putty rubber, or a clean plastic rubber cut to size, and to give it a sharp edge, will remove pencil marks if you want to, but you'll find many prints where those marks are left in and, usually, I like to see them. 
I’ve given all the relevant information on printing in a recent thread, so I’ll give a short answer here, as you are only interested in small print runs. There’s only one way to go, and that’s a giclee digital print - relatively cheap if printed on paper, which can include watercolour paper, or you can have your artwork printed on canvas. Prices and quality will vary, top digital printing companies have access to the latest printers and ink quality is paramount here. Have a look at ‘Salt of the Earth’ digital printers, they advertise in The Artist magazine, they will send you a sample pack of their work, and paper samples etc. Alternatively, try the high street printers such as say Prontaprint - they’ll be cheaper probably, but you won’t get the same service and quality as the one I’ve suggested! I also keep my pencil marks on show, it shows the structure and original thought process… but, my pencil lines are light! If you have really obtrusive lines visible, then a putty eraser will do the trick!

Edited
by Alan Bickley

Showing page 4 of 4