Inspiration from Artists Week 75 Featuring artists : EH Shepard and Claire McCall.

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 3 of 3
I tend to agree, Tessa, there’s a lot of positives in her work - would be a shame to let one negative spoil any appreciation for the rest of it.

Edited
by Jenny Harris

Tessa I have wondered whether the impressionist had eye problems...may be I'm joining a happy band.
Sylvia Evans on 10/08/2023 16:37:26
Sylvia you could do a lot worse than join the impressionists! 
Just answering Alan….yes, those reflections in the wet sand aren’t convincing. Some hint of colour to reflect the figures and perhaps not brown coloured. I do like the lively colours she uses and the thickly laid on paint.
Sylvia - as you'll doubtless know, some of the Impressionists did indeed have eye problems, eg Monet.  And some have wondered if El Greco's attenuated figures might owe more to his astigmatism than to his creativity - I hope not: I like El Greco, and assumed he elongated his forms deliberately.   In any case - if it's right or if it's wrong, this is only one painting out of those we've been shown, so I'll reserve judgement and evaluate the artist by the others.  
Love the skill involved and really like the last painting. More my style than the mirror image.
Excellent choice Jenny despite the discussion re the shadows in one painting . I like her work , I think partly because it so different to my usual preference.
Alan Bickley wrote: A reflection should be a mirror image, same colours only slightly darker generally! This one doesn’t look right to me either Stephen! Unless someone tells me differently!  Marjorie is often drawing figures with reflections on her sand paintings, what does she say? I have been looking at a large number of photographs after typing 'Sand Reflections' into a search engine, since I too felt there was something strange. In fact there are some remarkable photographs which shew strange effects on wet sand which seem to depend on backlighting. One shews a girl in a white bathrobe at the edge of white breakers with pale arms and legs, but the reflection of her legs and arm are bright sand. Another of some surfers in a cove with water from a stream behind the photographer has a surfer, with board, standing on the wet sand with he and his board the same colour as the wet sand to one side. A third shews an outcrop in the distance reflected  sand coloured on silvery water.  Few and far between but disturbing.    
I'm afraid as a beginner here I missed Jenny Harris's introduction where she refers to the painter's dependence on photographs and painting pm. Looking at some of my own photographs of our garden and surrounding land  during equinox flooding I'm beginning to think McCall may have seen things I have missed. If we get a sunny afternoon I shall be off to the beach. Unfortunately the Solway has rather muddy sand. 
Well Keneth if you have been inspired by the thread to go out and take photos then I for one am really pleased. The idea behind the thread was to inspire others to paint and post their choice of artist and their work. If by any chance it inspires anyone to take photos  ,paint or sketch etc its a bonus . Do share your photos and results with us on on the forum it will be very interesting to see the results. Next weeks arts are Chris Neale and Edward Hopper .

This post has been removed as it violates our forum rules and guidelines.

Showing page 3 of 3