Inspiration From Artist Week 104 : Edward Bawden and Phillippe Janin.

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 2 of 3
Interesting and so very different, almost calligraphic.
Here we go again...sorry.

Edited
by Sylvia Evans

And again....Tis the cold you know and a runny nose.....

Edited
by Sylvia Evans

I introduced Edward Bawden back in week 38.  There might be some different examples there:  https://www.painters-online.co.uk/forum/artistic-inspiration/inspiration-from-artists-week-38-featuring-artists-lise-temple-and-edw/?page=2

Edited
by Andrew Roles

I knew I'd seen that name before!  Still worth seeing again, mind.  
I did wonder but there’s a similarity with others of the same era as we know. Still as Robert says, good to see again. We flit through artists quite quickly and don’t always see a lot of their work.
Pleased it going well with you guys I’m cross with myself for not noticing until Andrew messaged me , more cross really because I did check back but somehow did not pick it up. I am at present working on a checklist so hopefully I won’t make to many more mistakes, it’s not helping that I have a constant headache and blurry vision at the moment. 
Always worth showing Bawden again as he’s one of my favourites. Sorry you are not well Paul - I can go back through the threads and pull the names into an EXCEL spreadsheet if you want ? Message me. 
Look after yourself Paul, and take advantage of help when offered - I know you're a proud lad; but (this isn't a competition, I realize!) I've had a pretty rotten week with arthritis spondylosis, neck, shoulders, arms, hands, and we won't mention the musical knees.... it's been a pain, literally, to lift a brush for any length of time.  I don't know - do we ever? - but I think damp, chilly weather has much to do with it....  I'm all for soldiering on and working through what Thora Hird used to call, in an advert for beds, "those aches and pains we all get from time to time": she said the beds were "wonderfully com-for-table": in fact, she was in agony for most of her last years, and I wonder how much the reclining mattresses really helped.   However - now and then: ****** all that for a game of skittles: just have a good rest, potter about as much as you can, but take no shame for sneaking back beneath the duvet for a good snooze.  Those of who will, ahem, never see our fifties again have deserved our let's-not-but-say-we-did episodes.
PHILIPPE JANIN, a French artist, born 1959, showed artistic talent at an early age, although he didn’t become a full-time artist until 1989, following an initial career in architecture. His paintings of the Provence landscape have an expressionistic feel in his treatment of colour, shape and light.  He works primarily in oil on canvas using a palette knife to add spontaneity to his paintings.  He also uses pastel, gouache and watercolour.

Edited
by Jenny Harris

Thanks for the introduction. I like the first one a lot. Lose the farmhouse (or even just the pantile details) and I'd like it even more. I find the style more abstract (and hence engaging) than the others, and the colours harmonise in interesting ways. The others don't quite work for me -- too saturated, a clashing palette, and the theme is a little repetitive.
Thanks Jenny for introducing Philipe Janin, who I've not come across before. I like the vibrant colour, warmth and energy in his paintings -I'm really enjoying looking at them on yet another grey February day, here in soggy England. I think they work very well except for the last one, which has become rather stylised- he's gone overboard on the blues and violets, I think.
Showing page 2 of 3