Is my linework good enough to call finished. Any thoughts would be much appreciated

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 3 of 3
Alan as you can see from the comments I made it was not directed at you or any other person other than Bari .  I to hope that Gerry will not be put off from asking for advice in the future and that he will heed the very sound advice you gave him . You are always supportive of people asking for advice and your skills and experience stand you in good stead.  Thank you Bari for acknowledging that you step out of line and have the good manners to say so. What would be good now is to draw a line under it and let’s get back to advising Gerry whom  I apologise to for causing a disturbance on his thread.
No, I know it wasn’t directed at me Paul, no issues there… I think maybe Gerry has had enough advice to be going on with, I do hope he comes back to show his finished version … or maybe he decided to leave the original as it was… and why not!
Thank you to everyone for all your comments and feedback. I haven't been on this forum/thread since my early responses to the first few messages, because I immediately went downhill sick and have had a few days basically barely able to function. I have completed my linework, after feeling able,  after considering various aspects of feedback here, and have posted what I would like to now call my finished piece. At the moment, I am playing with the idea that not all of my work needs colour or paint, and I am trying to develop my confidence in pure linework. I absolutely see the merit in the suggestions of tones, or washes, and would have normally done that, but with this I want to start to stretch myself in line and the quality I can obtain. I am in full agreement that it was indeed in need of making more 3-dimensional, and hopefully you can all see in my final result that this feedback process has been both welcomed and useful. On the subject of advice, comments and feedback, I would like to thank every artist here for every comment they offered, and please know I have taken them all in the spirit they were offered. No one should feel the need to apologise to me, or apologise for what they have offered, in a thread where I have asked for any and all feedback, for I have not taken any offence or anything such as that. Nor do I have any issues with what has been posted/replied and discussed here. I created this thread by asking for feedback, and always try to remain open to any thoughts and comments that are made. I believe that, as creatives, we are built with empathy and sensitivity at our core.... I believe we all need those traits in order to both explore and express what we see and feel about the world around us, in our art. Therefore, I have considered every comment here to have been offered in a purely helpful manner. Thank you to everyone, once again, it has been very useful. *** PS *** Comparing the photo here with the actual finished drawing, I need to add that the photo has lost some of the darkness and definition - my original/actual drawing is a little visually stronger and darker than what you see here. (photography being something I obviously need to work on) Nonetheless, it is still something I am happy with. Thank you

Edited
by Gerry Mellor

Pure pen/line and ink is a great medium, and you’ve done a sterling job here Gerry. Not every drawing needs colour, but I do think that every drawing needs tone (well perhaps not every), there are many ways to achieve this as you know. Do come back and join in on this forum again if you can, there’s plenty of help available on here and we would love to see more of your work!

Edited
by Alan Bickley

A lovely sketch Gerry thank you for your comments and posting the finish excellent drawing. 
Wonderful Gerry, the definition and shading you have added, does make such a difference from the original, you posted.
It is so good when people come back to the forum with a sack load of positive comments.  Thank you.  I think your finished work is great and it's great that you are happy with it.  
It looks great Gerry, nice depth from the added shading but the clean lines still shine. 
There are lots of improvements and the better definition of the window adds a great deal, but for me the greatest difference is made by the shading on the half open door.  It pulls the eye through the gate and into the building.
At the moment I’m walking through the gate and knocking on the half open door. It a beautiful piece, Gerry. For what it’s worth, a wide double mount and black frame would complete it. But that’s only my opinion. 
...but for me the greatest difference is made by the shading on the half open door.  It pulls the eye through the gate and into the building.
Tony Auffret on 10/05/2022 08:07:59
Exactly what I was hoping for. Thank you very much

Edited
by Gerry Mellor

At the moment I’m walking through the gate and knocking on the half open door.....
Ellen Mooney on 10/05/2022 11:00:22
Lovely to hear. That's what I was hoping. Thank you for your comments. Cheers
Showing page 3 of 3