WIP. Saint Matthew and the Angel

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 3 of 3
Chiaroscuro and Caravaggio… throw in a few dozen layers of glazing and what do you get? This fantastic image for starters! My thoughts exactly regarding Winton oil paint, you’ve got two top quality products in Michael Harding and the W&N Artists, I’d stick with them. Yes, there are others of equal, or very close to being equal in quality, I’ve tried them all. Rembrandt, Old Holland, Wallace Seymour and I’d also include Jackson’s Professional in that list. Jackson’s Artist quality is also a good ‘all round’ oil paint, but not the quality of the of the Professional range, but I’d highly recommend it!
I mainly use W&N Artist and Michael Harding these days. I have a few Winton that I'm just using up now Robert. I do intend trying the Rembrandt range also. You don't appear to notice the first few glazes that are applied because they are so thin Alan but then all of a sudden, it is a though the painting starts to come into focus.
Your painting is very good.  I've been reading about the history of the original painting. Caravaggio finished it in 1602 for the church of San Luigi dei Francesi. His clients didn't like it so he did another painting which now in the church. I tried to see it during a holiday in Rome but the church was shut - which often happens in Italy. The original painting was held by a museum in Germany but was destroyed at the end of the second world war.

Edited
by Keith Orange

Thanks Keith, yes Caravaggio a genius a pioneer of tenebrism. All of his work amazes me. He worked quickly and on a large scale. His own life was as dramatic as his paintings. Dying at a fairly young age, I often wonder what he may have produced later in life. There is much to learn from, when you do a study of a painting like this. He is my favourite artist. Cutting edge of his time. Followed by many, afterwards.
This is looking so good - love seeing it develop.
Thanks Gary, hoping yo have it finished by the end of the month.
The light has been great today and if there is one thing I am really happy with, it's the eyeball of St Matthew. I think I really achieved the eye shape today even though the lights need a slightly darker glaze. I've continued working on the skin tones and giving some texture to the skin by applying glazes. I've taken a long look at it today and can see it all pulling together and an end in sight. I will work very hard the next couple of weeks and draw it to a final close.  Today, I turned a corner in my understanding of many of the processes I've been practising. When I started this, I had no real idea if I was even capable of trying such a painting or completing it. Today, I can say, I am confident of completing, what I set out to do. Thanks for your input as it is always appreciated and very useful to read.
Denise, this is absolutely amazing. I haven’t commented before but have watched your progress since starting three months ago, and admired your skill and amount of work you you are putting into this. I’m glad (not just for you!) that the lighter days have come to help you do the remainder of this superb piece. Well done you! x
Slow and sure - just exactly what this process demands.  
Showing page 3 of 3