WIP : new to soft pastels

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
As some of you know I am dabbling into soft pastels. Just sharing my second shot at a p as tel painting of a house pier in Stromness from the shoreline. Using Derwent soft pastels and CarbOthello hard pastel pencils on brown Mi-Tientes cotton paper
There's quite a lot of texture on that paper - which suggests to me that you might need to apply the pastel a bit more heavily than on some others.  I do use pastel - but only for sketches; so I don't qualify as an expert.  Looking good so far.  

Edited
by Robert Jones, NAPA

It’s looking really good Gillian . Good for you for giving it a go.
I’ve got a decent selection of CaranD’ache soft pastels which I rather like using, not tried hard pastels apart from Conte sticks in sanguin, which is such a great colour! This is developing nicely, I like the solid mass of the pier, but  I’d perhaps tone the grass down a touch, it’s a bit too green maybe!
This is looking good Gillian. On the tips and techniques there are some good exercises to follow for soft pastels, I've tried them and they are very enjoyable.

Edited
by Denise Cat

It looks as though it is going well.  I use the reverse side if Mi-teintes and use my fingers to rub in.
Thanks for all the comments, thoughts and tips! Linda I was planing to use smooth side but got sidetracked and ending up on the rough side! Robert I am finding I need to be quite firm when applying the pastel to fi,ll the tooth!Still I am only in the learning process and mistakes are part of that! Yes Alan that green is bright but it is a moss which was a vibrant green however I will be tying to tone it down. Not done anymore this evening because of poor light!