Porsche 944

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 2 of 2
Think you've done brilliant with this Steve especially using oils, good work, could be with the angle of that back wheel it's making it look smaller. 
Thanks Anth and Linda.  Think I'll  leave the  rear wheel as otherwise I'll start to get a bit paranoid about it! Done a bit more work on the bodywork, lights and reg number.  More work still required around various aspects.  Enjoying working with the oils and seem to get much more depth to the colours but have to be much more careful not to smudge given the longer drying characteristics compared to acrylics.
This is looking excellent Steve.
Wow, loving this Steve! The shine and reflection on the car are beautiful!  Which oils are you using? If drying times were ever an issue, there are always the fast dry options (Pebeo and Griffin Alkyd to name a couple)
Most of the oils I'm using are Daler Rowney Georgian with same brand low odour thinner.  I have sometimes also used Liquin Original but have found this resulting in a different gloss finish.  I would like to get different paints but similar to my acrylics I already have a large collection of oils such that I can't  really justify  buying yet another lot!  Perhaps a Xmas present.......
Pebeo do a nice, easy on the pocket collection, worth a look. Nice to work with, and in this heat they’re normally dry in a crack.
Pebeo do a nice, easy on the pocket collection, worth a look. Nice to work with, and in this heat they’re normally dry in a crack.
Anthony Knight on 13/08/2020 20:47:03
Thanks Anth.  I may well change over some time in the future.   Spent some more time on the painting and I am now thinking that I have done enough.  I'll  leave it a week to dry and then decide whether to give it a coat of W & N retouching varnish as there are both glossy and matt areas.  I have actually purchased some frames from The Range that Anth suggested elsewhere and these are black with a mount and glass.  Wouldn't  usually use glass over oil but if Anth uses them then good enough recommendation  for me!  Also the glass my mean no need to varnish.
The gloss on the car is beautiful Steve! I had a similar issue with my most recent painting and was going to attempt oiling out or varnishing, but framing it behind glass sorted the issue.
Good job.   If you frame your oils behind glass - most don't, but some do - just ensure there's no danger of the glass touching the paint.  I don't use retouching varnish - I'd rather the paint looked uneven before a proper varnishing job than play about with that stuff in order to even it out.  I don't want to add a sticky, never-drying substance to the painting if it can possibly be avoided.   You mention the choice of oils up above aways .... I always suggest keeping the palette limited to 12 colours including white, at around the most; and buying the best paint you can afford at the time - if you have a limited palette you can extend it over time with better quality paints, until eventually you've got a complete collection of your most used colours in the better brands.  It really does make a huge difference - you won't believe how much of a difference until you use the best paint (which for my money is Michael Harding's - but other brands are available, of course). 
Managed to spend a bit of time on it.  Beginning to take shape!
Steve Andrews on 10/08/2020 15:40:5
Great painting .my eye is distracted by the town hall a bit .Great car .
Showing page 2 of 2