Porsche 944

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 1 of 2
As Anth has almost finished his Fast Fords, I thought I would show progress on my current  car painting!  This is to be a Porsche 944 outside Banbury Town Hall. Oil on MDF board 20" x 16".  May take some time to finish due to other commitments. 
Off to a good start! Is the car blue or are they reflections of the sky?
The car will be blue.  Trying to work the entire painting and build it up rather than concentrate on doing smaller areas to completion. Usually use acrylics so this in oil is proving rather different  
Any particular reason for using oils this time?  I like to chop and change myself, but I wonder if you had a specific reason.  Anyway - good start; and no need to rush it, either.
Hope you enjoy the oils, they can give you some great blends for shiny paintwork if you choose to go that way! Look forward to seeing progress :)
Good start in what is probably not the easiest medium for these subjects. Glazing could come into play here later on perhaps, deep lustre coachwork can be achieved if you plan it right!
Thanks for the comments.  Thought I'd  try oils as I find even using mediums the acrylics I have are difficult to blend (mixture of System 3 and Jo Sonja from when I used to do painted wood carving!).  Particularly in hot weather in my hot studio the acrylics seem to dry almost instantly without lots of medium.  I know I should probably invest in some different acrylics but I really do have boxes and boxes of them and don't  think my other half would be very pleased if started on yet another collection of expensive paints. But I must admit I'm finding the oils difficult for detail as the paint doesn't dry quickly to be able to go over or up to different lines without getting unwanted blending.  Expect I'll go back to acrylics but use a lot more mediums to help blending. But I'll  see how this painting eventually turns out.
Managed to spend a bit of time on it.  Beginning to take shape!
The car looks great Steve! Only thing I would say is, does the rear wheel look a little bit too small? Love the shine you’ve captured on the body 👍
Well spotted Anth.  Thanks very much for pointing out the wheel which I agree is wrong.  I used a grid system and direct measuring for the initial drawing and obviously messed it up.  Bit too close to it to notice whereas your fresh eyes spotted the problem so I'm very grateful.  In fact, I now see that as well as being too small it's at the wrong angle.  You have actually done me an even bigger favour because in investigating how this happened I have found that one of the plastic rulers I was using was not accurate by 1/4" over 12" !! and mixing this up with lines drawn with another ruler resulted in even the grid being out!  I've been using this bad ruler for years but it is now in the bin.  I'll  have to redo this area now.
Revised the rear wheel. Still wonder if looks a bit small?  But is accurate size as per photo.  Probably live with it a while, while doing other areas.
Loads better Steve, looks spot on now 👍👍👍
Showing page 1 of 2