Old Cart

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 2 of 2
Super work Stephen. I haven’t commented before but have been following , fascinating to see your stages.
Finished result, seems like an illustration for a cart manual. Cannot win them all.
You've done an amazing job of it Stephen. 
You are harsh to yourself.  I would say however that the more carefully you map out a drawing to be painted, the more accurate you are with exact shapes, the more you're likely to produce the 'illustration in a catalogue' look that you fear you've created here.  This was my one criticism of the late Terry Harrison's approach to watercolour, as exemplified in his videos - it all looked a bit pristine and carefully mapped-out to my eye.  This is nit-picking, though - I think your painting works (and I think most of his did, too!  But opinions on approaches differ). 

Edited
by Robert Jones, NAPA

I understand what you mean Stephen, but it come out much a I thought it would, it’s an excellent painting. As Robert said it was  drawn out well and it’s followed through, I would like to produce as good  a result.
You are spot with your observation Robert, I suppose it's my background which has created my style. I always set off with good intentions of being more free but always clawed back by my limitations. As you say mapping out produces this effect but it does bring a level of security knowing where you are going. Many thanks and I certainly will bear your observations in mind. Many thanks Paul, it has been an interesting exercise.

Edited
by Stephen Kelly

A really excellent result.  It's been interesting to follow the process.  I always look at artists ways of working...a great variety of those...but always something of interest.  At one point I thought the wheel was too dark, but it isn't.  The final picture is another gem.
Beautiful Stephen! Love the wheel in deep shadow, gives the painting such depth.
Beautiful Stephen! Love the wheel in deep shadow, gives the painting such depth.
I think it’s a really great picture, I would be delighted with it!  Well done
Excellent job Stephen, great colours and that wheel is spot on!!!
Showing page 2 of 2