New York, New York in the 1940's. A Third Avenue Rail System (TARS) trolley near it's carbarn on Broadway in Harlem.

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 1 of 4
This is probably the most complex drawing I have ever done, and I'm not kidding. Lost track of how much time has gone into this one. Love it as there's lots going on in this view.  The trolley has just been pushed out from the carbarn (depot) and the old chap standing nearby with the big heavy gloves on has been helping in this. I am trying to imagine his thoughts of going home at the end of his day. The motorman is preparing for his first trip by changing the destination blind, whilst smoking a cigar. The stairs on the right lead up to the overhead railway that runs the length of Broadway and you can see a crewman standing part way up watching the proceedings.  The chap walking past the trolley on his way to where? To get his car?  The 3 tracks on the roadway are 2 rails for the trolley to run on and the middle conduit is for collecting the electric current which powers the trolley as the overhead doesn't run under the railway above. I cannot wait to start painting this. Going to be watercolours. Drawn on Hahnemuhle 200lb watercolour paper. 

Edited
by Malcolm Davies

The detail is just fantastic. It will be interesting watching it develop.
This is exciting.  I’m looking forward to the next stage.
Looks like you’ve got a few hours work ahead of you here! Complicated subject but with so much drawing it should make it easier.
Thanks Denise & Linda, I will keep showing this one as it progresses. Thanks too Alan. As you say a complex subject but hopefully helps with the painting, but as you rightly comment, it will take some time.
You sir are a clever lad, and plainly unafraid of hard work nor devoid of exemplary patience.  It'll be fascinating to see this one develop: I'm a great fan of Hahnemuehle paper (which doesn't mean I can spell it) and of Saunders Waterford - but knowing my limits, I'll not be trying anything like this on either of them.  Presumably you're working at some size here - I would HATE to even try this on a small scale; did you say, watercolour or acrylic?I wonder if you've ever tried Chromacolour acrylic; I have no shares in the company - but it's one of the few acrylics which could successfully mimic watercolour, both in appearance and ease of application.  System3 is another good one in that it can be reduced to a very liquid state without loss of substance and adhesion. I'm sure you already have your favourite brands, though - it's just idle curiosity on my part that causes me to ask!
Robert, this is about A3 in size, so Yes I suppose I am up for a challenge. Having said that this is my usual territory so not fazed by this. I like the Hahnemuhle paper as it only has a small amount of surface texture which works well for the level of detail I am looking to achieve. The one fault I do find with this paper is that if you try and use an eraser it very easily damages the surface so you have to be ultra careful. I will be using watercolour on this. I am using St Petersburg White Nights liquid filled whole pans (used to be called St Petersburg 3K and before that Yarka) a Russian made product which I have now used for around 20 years and first bought in Hungary. Love using them. I haven't tried the Chromacolour acrylics as yet but maybe worth having a look. I do use System 3 along with other acrylics.
Small amount of work now been done on the New York scene.
Another superb painting.  I just love these and look forward to seeing it progress.
Some significant progress made on this yesterday (well a good few hours at any rate) and I am liking how it is progressing. Hope you do too.
By heck, do I enjoy setting myself a challenge? A good few hours taken up already in the staircase alone, without thinking about what's needed to do the rest. Really enjoying this one though and it is starting to come together.
It's definitely worth all the time and effort, it's looking fantastic.
Showing page 1 of 4