How to keep going?

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 2 of 2
I think this is such an interesting conversation.   Firstly Holly, I think you should have confidence in yourself.  Your work as is is very good and stands as is too.  But the wider issue is that sometimes we never finish anything because of fear of failure or being judged.  I had a father in law who never finished anything in the home in terms of decorating or joinery, even leaving the last piece of skirting undone.  That way in his head he could never be criticised and could always say 'it's work in progress'.  So I guess what I'm saying is that  we are all different and there are many people who don't finish things whether it be a course or a work related task or a myriad of things in between so  I wonder if you might fall into this camp in other areas of your life?  Perhaps if there is a pattern it might be worth taking a step back and recognising that you're good at starting but not so good at finishing and either let yourself off the hook or set a timed goal with no excuses to self.    Personally, every piece of art I've produced has high and low points for me but I'm a 'starter finisher' so I persevere come what may, not easy and sometimes I wish I could just know when to finish!  Lastly, have you tried going to a local art class?  I've found having the discipline of going once a week and having a tutor and being with like-minded people really helps to set and achieve goals with the support of an experienced professional.
Looking at your subject matter, might it be easier to accomplish a  'finished' painting if you were to paint one or two flowers as opposed to the lavish displays you have attempted, perhaps it wouldn't be so emotionally draining as trying to paint so many highly detailed blooms. Like wise with figures, try less in number and slowly build your self up to attempting more ambitious pieces. As for feelings of failure I believe it comes with the territory, no one will be more critical of your work than your self. I doubt that you will ever achieve total satisfaction with anything you do as there will always be something, no matter how small and which  will probably go unnoticed by just about everyone else, that will annoy you to the point of distraction.  Holly I can remember a time not so long ago when I would be full of good intentions about starting a drawing or painting but was then too frightened to even start incase it was a flop, so you're way ahead of where I once was! 

Edited
by Russell Edwards

Hi Holly, lots of good advice above. I would put  all the painting out were you can see them, look at them each time you pass over a few days or weeks then have what we call a UFO day or weekend (un- finished- objects) and see how many you can finish off. After seeing them each day you might find you can't wait to get stuck in..
...full of good intentions about starting a drawing or painting but was then too frightened to even start incase it was a flop, so you're way ahead of where I once was! 
Russell Edwards on 21/10/2021 16:28:47
I've been there :)
Welcome Holly,  I am recently a newbee & I too have similar problems actually finishing a painting. If it is a new subject that I have not attempted before I am excited to get started & towards the end I stare & think something is not right but I can not see a way out. Now I find by leaving it on display for a few days or a week I finally resolve the issue. I think I was not experienced enough & not knowing what to do. I think your paintings are fine, you can tell what flowers they are, Roses, Peonies, Dahlias, etc.  I wonder maybe if the background colors are too dark , making the foreground objects more noticeable & feel you then need more detail. Good luck with your Artistic Journey.
I have this problem too.  I don’t have the same angst about drawing.  but painting, I always feel that I need help and advice.

Edited
by Linda Wilson

I consider painting is a kind of mediations. Maybe you can think in this way too. If so, try to observe and adjust over and over again. You will know what to do in next step. No need to worry you may ruin your painting. Oil painting was invented becoz it dry slowly and allow us to adjust before it dries. Even it dried, you can sand it away. Which style do you want to work towards? It seems that you like realism. If so, your may need to change the approach how you paint. Focus more shapes rather than details.
Good advice from Kenneth, who I think meant "meditation" rather than "mediation": and I agree, it can have a very similar function - painting is akin to laying the problems and complexities of this world aside, while we deal with another; the all-consuming complexities of paint banish everything else.
It would be difficult to learn more detailed work if you have reservations about trying. It is a fact that fear is a barrier to all. Why not get an unfinished work out, take a good look at it, think, what is it, about the painting you would need to do, for you to make it feel complete. Be prepared for it to be ruined if you are experimenting and trying to advance your skills. Perfection is a word in the dictionary, perfection rarely exists. Be positive, get up one morning and say to yourself, this is the day I'm going to finish that painting the way I want it and just go for it. Positive attitude produces positive outcomes in anything you do in life. I like your paintings by the way.
Hello Holly, I agree with a lot of what other poeple have written, but mostly the comments about putting the picture to one side, and coming back to it another time (days, weeks, or months later).  I often get fed-up with a painting's progress, but leaving it alone for a while can really refresh your feeling for it! Also, I take a photo of it as it's progressing, and often the photo shows up something I didn't notice whilst painting.
Hi Holly, lots of good advice and ways to deal with the problem, a few stand out ax they are things that info myself.  Certainly put a painting aside and comeback to it a few days or so later , lots of artists do this as you have a fresh look.  The idea suggested by Denise that you get out a painting and go for it is sound, it works and start with one your not to fussed about , you will be surprised how much it can be recovered or changed. Heather offered the idea of photos of your painting you progress, I have being doing that for the last year. I use my I pad and take several shot from different angles and distance’s  this is one of the better things I have done. I site done look at the photos over a cuppa, I’m always surprised by how it’s progressing and how it looks , it also let me see any weak areas or something that just not right . I have also used them to show a friend who’s opinion I really value and ask how they see it . Give it a go and enjoy a well . You can put the photos on work in progress and let other have a look and comments that helps a lot. 

This post has been removed as it violates our forum rules and guidelines.

Showing page 2 of 2