Gullwing Mercedes 300SL

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 1 of 2
I am pleased to say that a contact that came from me being an Associate Member of the Guild of Motoring Artists came up trumps recently. I have received a commission for 5 car paintings to be displayed in a brand new "Automotive" themed Art Gallery in Dubai. The first of these is of a classic Gullwing (For those of you who haven't seen or heard of one before the name comes from the way the doors open) Mercedes 300SL. These have to be on a much larger scale than my 'usual' size work. I have added a comparison painting in to show the difference.  For these paintings I have chosen to go back to my traditional stomping ground of Acrylics. The reason being that I have used acrylics for over 40 years for my car paintings and find I can achieve a higher level of detail than with watercolours (although my recent work is getting much closer). I have chosen for the paper a 300lb Saunders Waterford Hot Press (Smooth) as this helps me in getting the very fine detail on to the surface of the paper. Other non commission work has had to go on to the back burner for the time being.

Edited
by Malcolm Davies

That’s great news Malcolm! Well done. You’ve confused me on the paper though, NOT is cold pressed, so there is HP, NOT and Rough! 300lb is a good choice, no chance of cockling here!
Durrrrhhhh!!!! Silly me. Not sure why I typed NOT (it's an age thing!!) You are of course correct and I should have written Smooth surface. Now corrected. Note to self - "Check what I have written before hitting post button".
Great car, I have a model of one of these in silver. I'm sure it will be another outstanding painting and all the better if you have already sold it!  Plenty of room in the picture for you to really get it detailed, which is one of your strengths.  Please post progress so we can see it coming along.
Work progressing on the Mercedes. Wheels coming along nicely and done one of the headlights which I am pleased with.                                                                                                                                            I have forgotten how much 'fun' it can be on a picture this size. I work on a board on my knees and 'rotate' the painting to get to the piece I am working on and when it's this size it always seems to be just out of reach.

Edited
by Malcolm Davies

It’s looking incredible, that detail is unbelievable!
Progressing on the Gullwing Merc. Things now starting to come together. Been good working with Acrylics again as been a while since I last used them.
Update on progress up to today.
Looking so good , it’s almost like your photographing a paint job on your car , stage by stage. The detailing on the lights etc and the shine on the paintwork is stunning. 
Thanks for your kind comments Paul. They are much appreciated. I like the stage with a painting where the amount of white paper left to paint onto is less than that already painted and it all starts to come together. Nearly at that stage with this one.
The level of detail is just mind blowing! Making great progress.
Running down the final furlong with the Mercedes. One or two more evening painting sessions should see it about done.

Edited
by Malcolm Davies

Showing page 1 of 2