Brazilian Steam Locomotive 2-10-2 No 201

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 3 of 4
It's looking not only good, but beautiful.  What a very useful comment by Tony, though - I have two easels, one that I need to stand up to, the other a table-top: if I get too near the latter, I can so easily lose a sense of the overall, and make perspective and form mistakes.  I expect you're working flat on a table, or at an angle - best advice is to get up and stand back now and then: things you just didn't see before can then leap out at you.  The other tried and trusted method - which does work - is to turn you picture upside down, or perhaps hold it up to a mirror - those little distortions you hadn't seen can then become obvious.  Very useful to have an independent observer to point them out to you, though!
Robert Jones, NAPA on 02/09/2022 23:30:20
Hello Robert, thanks too for your comments. Thanks too for your suggestions as to trying to view things in different ways. I must admit that I do look at my paintings from a distance as it helps me with checking the shading and contrast, but in this case I still managed 'not to see' the slight mishap on the smoke stack / chimney.  So as you say always good to also get the view of someone else as they can see things which I as the one putting the paint down can miss and even better to spot it before you have 'finished' and it's possibly then too late to sort out. It's one of the great things with this forum as everyone out there is another pair of 'artists' eyes and this can be a big help. All the Best Malcolm

Edited
by Malcolm Davies

The locomotives are now finished so it's on to completing the background and foreground, then the steam/smoke to do.

Edited
by Malcolm Davies

It looks very impressive. What medium is this?
Looking so good Malcolm the detailing is superb.
The light and cast shadows really do bring this to life, outstanding detail as usual of course.
It looks very impressive. What medium is this?
Lucian Hodoboc on 04/09/2022 13:19:48
Hello Lucian, it is watercolour.
Well after a good few hours and some ups and downs as to whether the steam/smoke coming from the front loco looked right or not I have now got to the point where I am happy with the final result (I think!!). So over to you now.
Stunning and beautifully painted. The detailing is absolutely brilliant great stuff Malcolm. 
A terrific piece of work.  A pleasure to watch the process.
Who wouldn't be happy with a result like that?
Very impressed: and yes, the smoke looks right (speaking as one old enough to remember steam trains on British railways....).  
As always, a beautifully detailed painting Malcolm. Love the light and shadow on the loco, and the steam/smoke is expertly handled.
Showing page 3 of 4