Brazilian Steam Locomotive 2-10-2 No 201

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 2 of 4
Oh I never realised that Malcolm it would never had entered my head what a shock . The detailing is absolutely brilliant your doing a superb job of it, looking forward to seeing the end result.
Paul  (Dixie) Dean on 23/08/2022 15:19:23
Hi Paul, I am really chuffed that I have been able to be so "enlightening" lol. I think that the 'end' is still some way away though.
That detail shot is incredible. You have incredible patience Malcolm, and precision! Would love to see some of your work in real life, do you ever exhibit up this way?
That detail shot is incredible. You have incredible patience Malcolm, and precision! Would love to see some of your work in real life, do you ever exhibit up this way?
Anthony Knight on 23/08/2022 18:51:05
Thanks Anth. The next exhibition will be at Christchurch in Hartlepool from the 19th November to the 14th January and I will have some of my work there as part of the Hartlepool Art Club display. Sure there will be the chance to see some before then, at a car meet, I am sure.
Anthony Knight on 23/08/2022 18:51:05
Thanks Anth. The next exhibition will be at Christchurch in Hartlepool from the 19th November to the 14th January and I will have some of my work there as part of the Hartlepool Art Club display. Sure there will be the chance to see some before then, at a car meet, I am sure.
Malcolm Davies on 23/08/2022 21:11:33
Yeah, hope so! Will get to the Hartlepool one as well though.
Update Number 1 - A full view of the painting so far, where work is moving along nicely on the front of the locomotive.
Update Number 2 - Another close up view of the work done so far on the front aspect. Hope you like them both so far.
That is absolutely amazing Malcolm, the detail is perfect.
Here is the update for today on progress made so far.  I have lost count of the number of layers (and hours) that have gone into trying to make the smokebox door and surrounding features look right, but it seems to be getting there slowly. It's getting the depth of shading right that is proving a challenge as don't want to take it too far all in one go.  

Edited
by Malcolm Davies

Really enjoying working on this painting. With it being a bit bigger than my usual size of work, it's allowing me more opportunity to get the detail that bit more realistic. Most of the hard work is now done on the locomotive and as it gets further back the detail diminishes and it progresses more quickly, then onto the fun with the steam.
The detail is remarkable, especially the shadows of the rivets at the front of the boiler.  The smoke stack looks at a bit of an angle, to my dodgy eye, but perhaps I should just wait until you finished
The detail is remarkable, especially the shadows of the rivets at the front of the boiler.  The smoke stack looks at a bit of an angle, to my dodgy eye, but perhaps I should just wait until you finished
Tony Auffret on 02/09/2022 15:45:47
Hi Tony, thanks for your comments. Yes you are right I have shaped the smoke stack on the left too sharply inwards. I have been too close to see it, until you mentioned it and then it became all too clear. Work this evening has now put that right (I think) and it looks much better. Will post an update and you can see what you think. Cheers again. Malcolm
It's looking not only good, but beautiful.  What a very useful comment by Tony, though - I have two easels, one that I need to stand up to, the other a table-top: if I get too near the latter, I can so easily lose a sense of the overall, and make perspective and form mistakes.  I expect you're working flat on a table, or at an angle - best advice is to get up and stand back now and then: things you just didn't see before can then leap out at you.  The other tried and trusted method - which does work - is to turn you picture upside down, or perhaps hold it up to a mirror - those little distortions you hadn't seen can then become obvious.  Very useful to have an independent observer to point them out to you, though!
Showing page 2 of 4