1960's street scene in Toronto

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 1 of 3
Having recently done a 1950's street scene I thought I would change decade and move a bit nearer in time, to the 60's. This time on Toronto. Once again the combination of wonderful cars, a streetcar and some great buildings, will hopefully result in an interesting painting. 

Edited
by Malcolm Davies

A marvellous detail in this drawing, and of social history. Look forward to seeing it painted up.
Spent a fair amount of time working on the house so far and am happy with the way it is going. Now which bit to work on next?
Looking good Malcolm 👍 loving all the detail and perspective looking forward to the updates..
Excellent start Malcolm, very detailed and a long way to go! I prefer to work over the whole painting which is how I was taught at college, but your own method of working in sections is bringing exceptional results!
Terrific Malcolm, a pleasure to watch you at work.
Another amazing painting! A great start with the house, looking forward to seeing the vehicles appear.
Thanks everyone for your comments. Nice to see so many of you watching the progress through. I like doing it this way too and also enjoy looking back over the stages.  As can be seen with my work it is nearing OCD as regards the level of detail and the work that goes into the painting. I just can't seem to help myself!!!! My method for working as can be seen is more 'a bit at a time' which I think comes from liking to see parts of a painting actually "done" and then when the whole painting itself is more or less finished, I "tweak" anything which looks like it needs it, in relation to the rest of the picture. I probably spend far too much time on some things, but it is something with watercolours, where starting with a base colour then building it up seems to work for me and this takes time and I do usually like the end result.
I also follow the ‘bit at a time’ approach, it works for me but can also appreciate other working methods. I find it works really well with vehicles in terms of rendering reflections, and different materials like chrome and other metals. And OCD-esque attention to detail is a winner for me! I love a painting where I can get lost in the detail, and spot something new every time I look at it.
Slow progress over the past week or so (life gets in the way sometimes!!!). Managed to get some work done on a couple of the cars and the garden in front of the house. Sky next perhaps and then I can start on the church.
This is exceptional stuff Malcolm, just fabulous dedication to detail.
Thanks Alan.  My attention to detail drives me nuts sometimes as it takes so much time to get things right. Having said that I usually like the end result and if others like it too, then it's all very worthwhile.
Showing page 1 of 3