1960's street scene in Toronto

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 2 of 3
Sky done and the church beginning to take shape. Also some base colours being added to the streetcar. Coming along nicely.
Looking so good Malcolm, the detailing is superb. 
Well after a long time sitting in my art folder while I worked on a large batch of paintings to go off to the printers I have finally come back to this street scene in Toronto. Still some way to go with it yet but liking the progress so far. Size is just about A3 on Hahnemuhle watercolour paper using White Nights watercolours.

Edited
by Malcolm Davies

Looking good Malcolm!
Looking good Malcolm!
Some more time spent on this painting and pleased with the way it is progressing. 
It’s certainly looking good Malcolm, your ability to paint such realistic detail is amazing.
This morning's update on the Toronto street scene. All the background now finished and the streetcar all done. Just the church tower and the overhead electric wires to do and the painting will be complete.

Edited
by Malcolm Davies

Wow that is looking so good Malcolm, you certainly are a master of the find detailing in psinting.
The painting is now finished and I am more than happy with the end result.
Wow, absolutely fabulous.  Your attention to detail is really great.  Is this from one old photo or a combination put together? I try to "place" cars in scenes I like, but they never sit well and usually don't look so natural!
Hello Steve, Usually a combination of photos where possible, with one main one giving the basic idea. I must admit however that I have many books on trams & streetcars around the world (sad I know but very useful) and these usually have great photos taken on streets at the time, so you get to see motor cars in their 'normal habitat' so to speak so it gives lots of material to work from, when constructing a scene. I also buy other photos purely as a means of reference to help with paintings. Hope this helps. Malcolm
Showing page 2 of 3