What is the best kind of paper for water coloring? Do I also need to use a pencil and an eraser before coloring?

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
What is the best kind of paper for water coloring? Do I also need to use a pencil and an eraser before coloring?
Hi, Rox! There's lot of different paper stocks suitable for water colors. They tend to be moderately thick and absorbent. Absorption is key, printer paper wouldn't work for example. You can get hot pressed paper that's fairly smooth to paint on, or cold pressed paper that has more of a rough grain and gives interesting textures and tends to soak up water a bit more. It's entirely up to you what you prefer and what your painting calls for. You may need to prep' or pre-soak the paper before you start, depending on how absorbent it is and how absorbent you'd prefer it was. You can find a quick guide on choosing the best watercolor paper for yourself on - Choosing Water Color Paper Note- If you're water coloring remember not to do it straight into the pad, you'll need to remove it a sheet at a time for use. Then you can sketch on it first (lightly in pencil) or later if you prefer, then soak the whole piece of paper so it's nice and wet, blot it dry (carefully) on a clean towel and then use butcher's tape to stick it to a wooden surface. Just a large chopping board would do, or a drawing board if you've got one. This will stretch the paper and prepare it for painting. Not doing this will run the risk of the paper buckling when you start adding watercolors to it. Leave the paper stretch out and taped down on the wooden board until it's dry - then you can paint on it. Leave it taped down for the entire time until you've finished the painting.
Its not really necessary to stretch paper as Adam is suggesting. you can buy heavy weight paper which will not buckle. Or you can but wter colour paper in a gummed pad so you use the top piece and when you have finished you can peel that layer off the pad. Stretching paper isn't the easiest excersise in the world but if you want to "do it proper" have a look on you tube and watch the technique. sketch in your picture very lightly with a H B pencil ,unless you are confident enough to just go for it. Use of an eraser to here in the U K we will say a rubber! is only for BIG mistakes. You might just leave a residue on your watercolour paper. a good rubber/eraser to use is what is called a putty rubber. Why not start with coloured graduated washes. Again have a look on the good old You Tube. Or join a watercolour group. Have a lovely time.
Good advice. A lot of amateurs AND professionals use Bockingford paper, obtainable in pads or by the sheet. It's a good all-purpose watercolour paper available in rough, medium or smooth - the paper called NOT surface is a good medium grade to go for - rough paper is a surface many find a bit difficult to start with. There are many, many different types of paper - as you'll discover; but Bockingford is what I'd go for in your place. And it's reasonably priced - my favourite paper is probably Arches, from France: but it can have a somewhat fearsome price tag - worth looking out for special offers.
Of course, we all have our own favourites and we will defend them 'til the death, well not quite I hope, mine is Fabriano 300lb,. BUT, it sounds like you may be a complete novice to watercolour, and all this lovely paper is expensive and can be intimidating to put your first mark on this pristine piece of expensive white stuff. My advice is always to start off with practice paper, have a good slosh around with some washes, try wet in wet technique etc and let yourself go, and you will soon see how enjoyable this medium can be. Ken Bromley stocks this stuff and it's reasonably cheap, comes in lots of different types of manufacturers paper, and a fair few sheets in the pack to play around with. Yes, I know that it will probably buckle a bit, but what the hell, it's not going into the National Gallery and when you have tried all these samples you can then decide what you most prefer. Perhaps start with simple landscapes, quick and spontaneous, big sky with a small land area, maybe add a church or whatever, but whilst the paper is still damp as you can't go back to it easily.so ditch the pencil and rubber, you won't need them. Of course I know that it will be some time before you feel confident in the medium, but just keep throwing paint on paper, it's not difficult, kid's do it every day at school. Just to add that the above is only my personal recommendation and advice, the choice is yours but don't let this medium intimidate you, the most that you can waste is a piece of paper, so get going and the very best of luck, we are all here to help and advise so always ask. (If you can't find the Ken Bromley paper that I mentioned let me know and I will give you the ref. no.) The code is STM and it is a mini starter pack of 20 sheets 5 different brands Inc Bockingford and Arches £9.95. There is an interesting video of an artist explaining the different paper and she does a demo...

Edited
by alanbickley

This variety of Canson watercolor paper is one of the most popular options across the world, and it is inexpensive and widely accessible in most retail places. Regardless of your skill level, the product has a lot in store for you.
Is this an advertisement ?.
Well now - the post does contain an embedded link - but to a quite interesting site, which discusses the merits of various papers.  Clearly, Mr Enholm is not an employee or shareholder of Canson - if he were, he wouldn't be linking to a page that discusses a whole range of papers.  So I'm going to leave it here, but note the comments made by the person who made the report; in short, a situation I shall watch.  
This Noah person is a repetitive scammer on here, a menace, which is why I asked for it to be looked at. However, on this occasion it happens to be art related for a change!
This post might have been designed to present us with a challenge - but Mr Enholm: if you're planning on introducing us to a website, please do not do it by the use of embedded links: give the URL, so we know what we're supposed to be looking at.  I will remove all further posts with embedded links, wherever they might lead. 
Robert, good for you.  May I suggest that you also remove any links that are the form of a Tiny URL.  They too mask the true identity of the target site.  Even if the real URL is quite lengthy, it does not take a lot of effort to copy and paste.
Yes, will do that.