Watercolour Boards

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
I bought some Reeves watercolour boards to try put as I hoped that as a board there would be no cockling. The painting "Fill her Up 2" on my watercolour gallery was done on the board and I was very disappointed. I tried to use watercolour in the usual way by applying water before adding a wash. The board instantly soaked up the water and I was unable to apply a wash on to a wet surface. As I progressed through the painting I found that any attempt to paint wet on wet was impossible on this surface. Having left it overnight I found that the board was very very bent. The only to straighten it was to spray the back of the board and flatten it with a weight until dry. I have 4 more of these board but watercolour will not be the chosen medium for them. Thick acrylic or pastel may work. Does anyone else have any experience of using these boards? I be interested to hear.
Hi Garyya2 You say you wet the board to paint "inthe ususl way" but i think these boards are in tended for the more usual way of painting wet on dry. The board is only watercolour paper glued to a stiff backing and i think it wouldnt take a soaking kindly without something serious happening. You could paint without using too much water for washes or as you suggest use acrylics. Wet in Wet needs a heavy paper like 400lb or so to avoid cockling so thats your best bet than boards for your way of painting. ..cheers ..Syd
The Art Alternatives drawing board comes highly recommended by me. I like this drawing board for watercolor painting because of its mobility and versatility. The kit includes a low-profile grip clip for attaching paper pages or a pad. There is also an extra-strength rubber brand developed for document fastening. These qualities come in handy anytime I sketch in new places.

Edited
by noah enholm

I gather you are in the US ? 
This guy usually posts with embedded links to advertising, although not this time!  I’ve reported him on many occasions. I’ve no idea what the art alternatives drawing board is, and I’m not about to bother finding out… I suspect it won’t be available from Jackson’s Art or any of the other U.K. retailers.

Edited
by Alan Bickley

I though in recognition his name earlier, Alan but was not too sure  , I recall  you saying before test you had rebooted him after he highjacked one of my threads . I wonder what he gets out of it , money , notoriety, or just kicks .