The indefatigable Alan Owen

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Yesterday, or the day before, Alan Owen celebrated his 89th birthday.  He is STILL producing demonstations on YouTube and Patreon just about every day - I'm lucky if I produce a reasonably decent painting per fortnight! Do go and look him up, if you haven't already.  He paints to help others paint - the best motivation of all. 
Good to hear.  
Just had a look at his work there are some very nice paintings in there . Shall I put him on the list for discussion he seems a very worthy of been added . Anyone care to do the intro aa I have lots of them coming up. 
He destroys far more paintings than he keeps; but then, if he didn't, he'd have thousands of them.  He had an article in Leisure Painter some years ago; might be interesting to dig that out.  I don't mind doing an intro, if you can slot him in.  
I will certainly fit him in Robert it will be a few weeks before he features but I will let you know in time to get stuff together. 
Yes Alan  Owen shoukd be on here.  He is another " one of our own"  he very kindly sent me a dvd some year# ago.  A lovely Wigan accent and he talks to you ,not at you.  I think it was his dog/ cat making sounds in the background.  If I remember he was enjoying a cup of tea. 
I wish he'd come back to POL, but he's a busy lad!  He sent me several dvd's too, plus paint, and brushes - all because I helped him with his Leisure Painter Article those several years ago.  As generous with his worldly goods as he is with his time - he also sent me his copy of Alfred East's book, and one by Edward Seago: and those brushes were a mixture of Kolinsky sable, squirrel mops, some good quality synthetics ... not by any means inexpensive!  Which is why I try to promote him in any way I can - though I'd do that anyway, because he's one of the best teachers on the internet. He said at one point that I flatter him.  I don't!  He's just a wonderful man and dammit - you can tell him I said so!  Alan Owen for President....  
Tee hee - saw a demo by him today: he spent a good quarter of it recommending, and munching, jelly babies!  You've got to love the silly old sod - because in every one of his videos, there's a great lesson in watercolour painting: plus a recommendation for jelly-babies .... the man is just a constant marvel: and, to quote him, "Well, I'll go to the foot of our stairs!"  Hee hee - ee, he's a lovely man: and a bloody good watercolourist.  Just go and look at the way he paints skies - he changed my entire approach: do PLEASE go to his pages and support him: there are very few better teachers.

This post has been removed as it violates our forum rules and guidelines.

I watched the video your are talking about , he makes sky's look so easy to paint . Must work better if you bight the heads off the jelly baby as you work. He makes watercolour look so easy , it must be reasonably easy as I can do it but not as well as he does. His technique for holding the paper in place intrigue's me a mount and bulldog clips , I wonder if it leaves a line of paint at the edges ? but then it would be covered . Must watch more of his videos they are very entertaining. 

Edited
by Paul (Dixie) Dean

Alan is one of the few artists who manages to get through to me. Most of those are on P-O-L, and I include oil and watercolour tutors. With Alan it was 'easy'/ish, and he helped me produce work that I was not afraid to show others. How strange that I should also enjoy fruit jellies; although the  Maynards have just cost me another gold crown, which was  'sucked' out by a wine gum! Thanks to Alan for my continuing improvement.. John

Edited
by John Walker