Sky Blues in watercolour, help please!

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 2 of 2
Hilary, I always feel it depends on what kind of light I am seeking to imitate with my colours. Prussian Blue gives me the 'metallic' cold blue that suggests freezing weather. Cobalt makes me feel the warmth of Summer. Cerulean suggests a particular shade of blue I often see just as twilight begins; especially next to a blush of pink. A watered down Ultramarine fits well with a summer seascape. Problem is I am a bit of a romantic at heart, so such ideas might just be me. Anyhow, I hope this helps. Cheers John  
Hilary, I always feel it depends on what kind of light I am seeking to imitate with my colours. Prussian Blue gives me the 'metallic' cold blue that suggests freezing weather. Cobalt makes me feel the warmth of Summer. Cerulean suggests a particular shade of blue I often see just as twilight begins; especially next to a blush of pink. A watered down Ultramarine fits well with a summer seascape. Problem is I am a bit of a romantic at heart, so such ideas might just be me. I am in full agreements with the comments on Rowland Hilder; he was one of the best for me. Anyhow, I hope all this helps. Cheers John  

Edited
by John Walker

Sounds totally poisonous Robert.
Linda Wilson on 08/10/2021 17:27:26
I wouldn't recommend making your tea with it, certainly....  It's a dye, like Prussian Blue; not really poisonous - doesn't matter if you get it on your hands, does matter if you get it on your favourite white cardigan, because it's a complete swine to wash out.  The pthalo colours - blue, green, turquoise - can ruin a painting in no time at all; and while you can wash most colours out, pthalo isn't one of those that gives up without a fight.  I think I got lucky with my PB watercolour wash - I wonder if I could repeat the performance; achieved it on Bockingford, and I'm not sure it would work so well on a paper with more sizing.  Still, I'm curious to try, now.
Thank you John - that is very helpful advice on the different uses of blue and I will be trying them out. I have ordered some phthalo blue (green) and phthalo blue (red) and will experiment with them, and will post the results if I feel they are acceptable for public viewing! The Rowland Hilder book I have is 'Painting Landscapes in Watercolour' and I bought it in an Oxfam shop a few years ago. I thought at the time his paintings were a bit old school but having started to reread it I realise that his sound advice and expertise is invaluable, and will never date. He does say it took him a long time, and a lot of experimenting before he felt confident with the medium, and I find that encouraging although a bit daunting - but I will keep trying.
Robert - I do hope you do try again with a phthalo blue wash on Bockingford, I would be very keen to see the result
This was one of two using pthalo blue on Bockingford; can't find the other one. 
Thank you Robert, I can see pb works very well here, unfortunately I can't enlarge the image, but it has encouraged me to try now.
Showing page 2 of 2