Sable Brushes

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Just before the lockdown in March, I went into Oxford just for a look around with no particular aim. I visited the art shop that I usually use, and was luck to pick up a set of pro art sable brushes for a quarter of the normal price. I have used sable occasionally and have the odd one. Since buying them I have not used anything else, what a difference they make to the amount of paint they hold etc, no matter what the make I’m converted. I can only recommend to anyone looking for new watercolour brushes go for sable of any make , more expensive if your pocket can stand the strain. A couple of sizes should do the trick, you may of course need some specific shapes  and I don’t know what  range is available. 
I agree with you Dixie.  Nothing better than sable.  However I did buy some big watercolour brushes in China that are very good.  They are made from various animal hairs.  I also have a synthetic sword brush that holds a lot of water and has a very fine point.
Some of the modern synthetic brush are really quite good, I have used them a lot and have to say I like them. There is something different about sable , it to do with the feel I think it just feel right  if I’m making sense.  I have a pony hair brush that I use for laying washes for sky lines etc, that hold a lot of water and is a hakes shape, I have used it for trees when doing a large scale painting. I’ve never really got on with a hake , don’t know why just seems to bid to me, but Ron Ransom does some great stuff with them.
To get on with the hake, wet it, squeeze the excess water out, pick up the paint, and apply to dry or damp paper.  Trying to use it wet is asking for trouble.  Ranson didn't only use the hake, he also employed a rigger, which may or may not have been sable, and sometimes a flat, ditto.  Sable is indeed a fine hair, the two snags with it being a) the poor critters it's made from, and b) that it's very susceptible to moth.  
No, Ranson didn’t use sable, in fact he only used student quality watercolour paints. He didn’t believe in buying expensive art materials. When he came to our art group back in the late eighties to do a demo, I believe he was using a ProArte rigger (or similar synthetic) and one other, plus his Hake of course.  Tremendous charismatic character, sadly no longer with us of course.

Edited
by Alan Bickley

He is one of the few people I have watched on video, he made painting trees etc look so easy. I did not know that he only used student quality paint, I assumed he used the best, just shows you can make a painting look good if you know what your doing. I must admit that I have very few artist quality paints, most of mine are so-called student. I have noticed that the better quality are much richer and have a better pigment. I happily do a test of both is someone wants to provide the paint, goodness I sound like Robert ( I  have great respect good sir) , sorry   Robert  it I got in first if there is an offer.
Yes Paul, he used W&N Cotman students brand, (tubes) certainly no problem for him.

Edited
by Alan Bickley