Hi everyone

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Hi, newbie here, just discovered this great forum and am hoping for some advice and guidance for the start of my painting journey. Im a beginner, who is quite colour blind but persistent and eager, so I've managed some paintings so far, or rather splodges 🤣. Im off to Spain in a few weeks and I'm not sure what the best limited colour palette to take to ensure I capture the blue skies and lovely beaches. Any advice would be gratefully received. Keeping in mind my colour blindness, I appreciate my colour mixing may be a bit off..... a lot off to be truthfull lol. Thanks for reading and have a fantastic day. Kind regards P. Thankyou Robert, Paul, Alan and Gillian, for your very helpful responses. I hadnt considered the heat as a factor when deciding on watercolours, but having read your comments wrt controlling drying times, I now see the sense. As a result I've changed tact a bit. I've opted to take some fine liners and watercolor pencils along with some W&N watercolour markers. I've also included a couple of PITT grey pen brushes, so I think I'm ready  Thanks again for all your excellent advice, very nuch appreciated. Kind regards P 

Edited
by Paul McGuire

Hi Paul welcome to POL it’s a really good place to be and people are friendly most of the time . It would be a f great help to see what you have done , even your splodges  it would give use some idea of your colours and mix . I assure you no one will be making disparaging remarks as we look for the positives.
If you're off the Spain, don't forget (if you're planning on painting outside) to take a hat: much more important than your selection of colours.  Paul's right to suggest that it's difficult to recommend particular colours without knowing something of your normal practice, or the nature of your colour-blindness - there are different types, as you'll well know, and I'd concentrate on those colours you CAN distinguish.  If I were to suggest a good basic palette though, it would probably consist of Burnt Sienna, a crimson or magenta, Cadmium Red, Yellow Ochre, Raw Sienna, Lemon Yellow or Cadmium Lemon, Cadmium Yellow Light, a green - Pthalo is a very strong one, Viridian more expensive but a bit user-friendlier, and Ultramarine Blue.  You can mix most colours from that, including black (your Burnt Sienna plus green, or magenta/crimson plus green).   That would give you a good basis: others might suggest Payne's grey, or Pthalo Blue - and actually, the Pthalo could be useful for strong blue skies.  A possible extra would be Cerulean Blue, but that's an extra colour to carry, and the good versions are expensive.  (I'd also like to recommend choosing a lightfast version of blue-red, rather than the ever-prevalent Alizarin Crimson; my suggestion here is the pigment PV 19, artfully disguised under different names, like Quinacridone Violet, Rose, or Permanent Rose.  There are colours called Permanent Alizarin - several mixes are offered - but while they're more permanent than genuine Alizarin, that's not necessarily saying much.  It's a small thing if you're starting out, really - but better to start with good paint rather than paint which fades.) Many a good watercolour has been painted with just umbers, Neutral Tint, Ultramarine, and Burnt Sienna, with a yellow of choice thrown in.  That'd give you a great range of tones, without necessarily offering a confusing range of colours - I hope you do have blue skies, and beaches, and not too much searing heat or, come to that, torrential rain! Enjoy your holiday.  

Edited
by Robert Jones, NAPA

I JI’ve painted a lot in Spain over the past decade or so, numerous trips a year to my casa - and at the moment the temperature is rather warm! Yes, that’s an understatement! My advice would be to take a decent sketch book, something like a Stillman & Birn Delta, a few Tombow pens and so on, and just sketch what interests you… fill up a whole sketchbook…and use a grey brush pen to indicate those all important shadows! Take back-up photos as well, they always come in handy. Get enough drawings done to work on over the winter months at home in the studio or wherever you paint! Or, if you’re hell bent on using colour, a very limited palette or a little Cotman sketcher’s watercolour box.., but your washes will dry out in seconds… keep things simple is the motto when you’re painting in a hot climate! A sketch book is the simplest of all! Particularly if you are relatively inexperienced at painting plein air!

Edited
by Alan Bickley

Welcome Paul, I agree with Alan! I have lived in Spain but now back in UK . I still have my house there and tend to do a lot of line and wash using a wiinsor and newton travel set. It is quite problematic using watercolour in the heat