Where do I get advice on fees to charge for transferring copyright?

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Hello everyone. Sorry if this has already been asked... Does anyone know where I can get some advice to help me decide what to charge when selling/transferring the copyright of a painting, to my client? Many thanks in advance. Gerry
Interesting Gerry I wouldn't have a clue.I assume you have a specific reason  and a good one.   I suppose it depend# what they want it for ,I am assuming they will make dosh out of it.   I'm quite precious about my copyright.  
Never ever sell your copyright to anyone unless there is very serious dosh to be made.  Your copyright is your most precious asset!
Interesting Gerry I wouldn't have a clue.I assume you have a specific reason  and a good one.   I suppose it depend# what they want it for ,I am assuming they will make dosh out of it.   I'm quite precious about my copyright.  
Sylvia Evans on 23/09/2022 11:26:01
A commissioned painting may also be wanted/used by the business as their christmas cards. So not exactly making money directly out of it, but it helps their potential. I wondered whether to charge/sell a "one-off purpose" copyright.

Edited
by Gerry Mellor

Never ever sell your copyright to anyone .....
Alan Morris on 23/09/2022 20:19:50
Would you mind expanding on this a bit more please Alan. Thanks (I'll be devil's advocate for a second and pose the question..."Why not?")
It wouldn’t bother me one iota! If I could make extra money by selling the copyright as well as the original then I wouldn’t hesitate.  As to what to charge will to some extent depend on several factors… Are you a recognised listed artist or an amateur? This could have some bearing I would think, depending on what they want to do with it. Prints from an unknown artist must surely have a lesser value compared to a known name.  What is it that they propose to do with your  original? Ie: Cards for instance can be profitable and can run for decades… and buyers of cards aren’t particularly interested in who painted it…  A tricky one to come up with a figure, but it would have to be four figures I would have thought! Much more if I was selling to a recognised card company!

Edited
by Alan Bickley

Thanks everyone. Food for thought. (I did a general internet search and results were as varied as you can imagine). Cheers again.

This post has been removed as it violates our forum rules and guidelines.