Watercolour ? Mediterranean scene - help with artist signature / any info please ?

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Hi everyone I bought this lovely watercolour recently when on holiday in Wales - it looks old and was in an old frame - has signature bottom left which I’m struggling with - it is stuck to the mount but had 0315 on back of frame - any info of help would be greatly appreciated 
Not a clue I’m afraid… I can make out some letters and the subject could mean that it’s possibly a foreign artist so good luck on that one! I suspect that it’s been bought back from a holiday trip at some point, it doesn’t look old to me, but it depends what you consider to be old! It’s a lively watercolour and in my opinion painted by an amateur hand - architecture and boats are not easy subjects for most amateur artists, and neither of these show any degree of competence. Sorry I can’t be of more help, but someone on here may have more of an idea, as unlikely as that may be!

Edited
by Alan Bickley

It's a pity it's stuck to that mount, because the mount is "foxed" - which may be what's making the painting look older than it really is: the mount wasn't archival and is showing it. The signature has faded somewhat, but, as so often, is hard to read anyway - is that first letter a 'T'?  I thought it was an 'F' at first, but that's because it's over a parallel line in the painting - horizontal line anyway.  All of which is my way of saying I have no more clue as to authorship than Alan has!  In your place, I'd take it to a professional framer, and see if they couldn't take the picture apart, remove that deteriorating mount, and take a look at the back to see if there's a clue there.  The number on the frame could be anything, possibly a lot number.  I don't think this is the work of a major artist, or even a known one - but it's a pleasant painting, accomplished with some energy, and I can certainly see what drew you to it.  I suppose it's an Italian scene - it's the sort of sketch an artist might make when on holiday, then be sufficiently taken with it on their return to have it framed: it is a bit crowded, I'd bet it was painted with Chinese brushes or perhaps with a mop, and if anyone knows a painter who habitually employs those, well - over to you.   I would get that mount replaced, though.... 
Memo to watercolourists and indeed artists everywhere: write your name on the back of your paintings, and sign them with lightfast ink if they're watercolours!  You'll save future generations a lot of guesswork......
I would certainly agree that it a holiday painting or even a quick painting done for tourists etc. Looking at the boats I would agree with you a Robert certainly look like a large brush stroke . I think the trees and most of the buildings including window have been painted the same way with a large brush . Its the use of the large brush that makes me think it was probably done on the beach  by a local person earning a living  done quick to impress and sell to a observer . Well that me certainly putting my neck in a noose , but I don’t have the slightest clue as to who painted it . Roberts suggested having it removed a good idea and it will look better re mounted  plus there could be details on the reverse . The mount has certainly suffers and has slightly affected the painting, unfortunately painting don’t need to be of a great age for this sort of damage taking place , I have seen some watercolours with similar damage that were less that ten years old . I’m sure a lot of people will agree it how it’s mounted and where it’s displayed that causes the damage . I do agree with your suggestions about signing and putting details on the back , I’m guilty of not always doing so but hopefully your prod will remind me to do so . 
I do like this a lot. Can see why you bought it but I hope you didn't pay a fortune for it . Italy ,south of France...a happy painting.