Water color for newbies?

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
How to Sew a Scarf: A Beginner's Guide Scarves come in various shapes and sizes. Learning how to sew an infinity scarf is fun and a fantastic way to customize your accessories. In this step-by-step guide, we'll walk you through the process, and by the end, you'll have a fashionable infinity scarf to show off. CraftsSelection simplifies your crafting decisions with easy-to-read top product reviews. Trust us to guide you to the right crafting tools and materials. Whether you're a seasoned crafter or just starting, our sewing product reviews provide clarity in your choices. Explore our recommendations today and embark on your crafting journey with confidence, knowing you're making informed decisions that will enhance your creativity and projects. Materials You'll Need -  For a comfortable feel, consider soft and flowing fabrics like rayon blends, silk, or cotton voile. If you're looking for warmth, flannel or wool blends are great. -  Measuring Tape -  Scissors -  You'll need a sewing machine for a quick and secure stitch. However, if you prefer hand sewing, that works too! -  Matching Thread -  Pins -  Iron and Ironing Board Step-by-Step Instructions Step 1: Choose the fabric for your infinity scarf first. Think about the texture, and style that you prefer. You have the choice between a soft flannel or an opulent silk. Step 2: Choose the appropriate scarf size. A typical size is roughly 70 to 75 inches long and 22 to 24 inches wide. You can, however, change these measurements to suit your preferences. Cut your cloth to the required sizes using a measuring tape, adding an extra inch on each side for hemming. Step 3: Hem the edges of your fabric for a finished appearance and to stop fraying. Fold the raw edge twice, by about 1/8 inch (3mm), and sew it in place with matching thread using your sewing machine or by hand. You can also use a rolled hem foot for a narrow and polished finish. ➤➤➤ See This Page: CraftsSelection.com Best Sewing and Craft Products Step 4: The cloth should be folded lengthwise with the right sides facing each other once the edges have been neatly hemmed. Evenly align the long edges. Step 5 - Stitch along the long edge with your sewing machine, about 1/2 inch (1.3 cm) from the edge. To secure the seam, be careful to backstitch at its beginning and end. Step 6: Gently turn your scarf right-side out through the open ends. You'll now have a continuous loop. Step 7 - To remove creases, lay your infinity scarf flat and press it with an iron. You can embellish the ends with decorative elements like lace, pom-poms, or fringe for more flair. And there it is—a lovely, handmade infinity scarf. These simple instructions will help you make a chic infinity scarf that goes great with your outfit and keeps you warm on chilly days. ❃❃❃ Get More Info: Best of Product Reviews CraftsSelection.com Crafts Selection understands the importance of clear, simple information regarding sewing product choices. Our sewing product buying guides are your go-to resource for easy-to-understand advice on selecting the best sewing tools and materials. Visit CraftsSelection.com and explore the fun world of sewing!

Edited
by Kimber Crocker

Hi Kimber  Well that’s a question with lots of answers and depends on what we started off with and have a preference for , and of course your budget. It worth getting a decent set from the start rather than buying very cheap and not liking the paint quality, it can be very off putting. First you need to decide if you want pans, half pans or tubes then look at the amount of colours you would like , some sets come with lots of fancy colours that you might never use . I would suggest a set of the primary colours and learn to mix you greens etc at all good practice and great learning . I would look at buying one of the brand names as their product is tried and tested , some of the Chinese paints that are relatively cheep are quite good as well.  I’ve been using watercolour for over twenty years an in still learning each day it a fascinating hobby that can cost a fortune if your susceptible to wanting gadgets etc . A good set of paints and brushes are all that is really needed to get off to a good start the easels and all the fancy stuff come later . I would strongly recommend that you buy good paper it doesn’t matter if you have the most expensive paints in the world they won’t look good on poor quality paper , it’s the basic foundation block of what you building and creating . Whatever you buy enjoy you time painting and welcome to the watercolorist  club.  I’m looking forward to seeing some of your artwork, don’t be afraid to show it and ask for advice , there is a section here on the forum for that. 

Edited
by Paul (Dixie) Dean

Winsor and Newton's Cotman watercolours would probably be a good start, but I wouldn't buy a set: choose the colours you want - three primaries, a violet or crimson, and a few earth colours.   If you feel you should buy a set, both Winsor and Newton and Daler Rowney do pan colours in a little plastic palette, useful when outdoors (if you remember to bring the water..); or individual tubes in their student, intermediate, and professional ranges.  Or take a peek at  Charles Evans' online shop - which is what I'd do if I were starting out afresh.  
Over the years I’ve tried many brands of watercolours. I’m currently using a W&N Cotman full pan set, plus a selection of tubes from their‘Artist’ range. Nothing wrong with the Cotman sets, there’s many combinations to choose from and fairly decent useable colours. You do need to opt for the full pans though in my opinion!
Lots of good advice . I would reiterate full pans though I do have a small Winsor and Newton  set of half pans useful for popping in a bag or pocket for travel .  I like White Knight they have a honey content which helps them to mix nicely and the colours are lovely.  Similar price to W & N .  Yes do just buy a few basic colours and learn to mix.   Lucky you ,you are at the beginning of a lovely adventure . 

This post has been removed as it violates our forum rules and guidelines.