Seeking advice on how to improve photo reference for a painting

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Hello! I am hoping to paint this photo I found in my attic that was taken back in 1990... I love the three figures in the front but I'm not satisfied with how the background looks. Does anyone have advice about how I could alter the background to strengthen the composition, color, balance, etc? I'm mainly worried about the excessive amounts of green foliage that take attention away from the kids.  Thank you!
I don't think that the foliage distracts from the children, building does.  The warm colours of their skin tones brings them forward, while the cool greens recede.
I agree with Margaret, just remove the intrusive building!
not knowing your standard of painting,( beginner , competent, artist) you could completely remove all the background, and put one of your own choice in.
I think to take the building out is the first step, it adds nothing to the picture. You then could make the background softer, out of focus looking, the greens  as already said don’t detract from the children. What’re do it your way and enjoy.
Agree with the others - demolish the building: it leads your eye out of the picture.  Greens help to complement pinks, browns and reds, so I also agree that your painting won't be hurt by including them, though you could try cooler greens and blues. If you look at YouTube at all, take a peek at the oil paintings of .... damn': this happens more and more, I've just completely forgotten his name!  Anyway, a French artist, whose work is shown on Eliane Debard's channel - Christian Arnould!  He's particularly good at placing figures in landscapes, and his colour palette should be of help.