Uploading pictures on POL.

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
I'm sure this isn't new, but it's still happening every time I load an image.  I click the upload button, the circling icon (showing it's uploading) appears and it goes on and on and on, often ending in an error message. Just lately, after clicking the upload button, I've taken to immediately opening another tab on my desktop computer and loading POL again.  My image is always loaded, while the other tab is still busy showing uploading and usually finishing with an error message.  But the image is there...almost instantly. This accounts for the frequent multiple indentical uploads we get. I'm wondering if POL are aware.  (I uploaded a pic this morning and it happened.)
I don't think it is just you Lewis.  I don't get any indication that anything at all is happening .  Your circle icon doesn't exist  at all. Mine is just guess work so I press again.  Then go to the gallery and discover several uploads .  I then have to delete the excess ones.  Must admit I thought it was me doing something wrong.  It's a bit like the double posting here on the forum the fat finger syndrome. Something odd . 
I don't use an ipad or phone, I'm not sure what they show.  On my desktop PC, the circling icon is alongside the website address on the Google search engine.
I always post from my iPad and have recently found it increasingly slow to upload to both the gallery and forum. If I can see it’s starting to upload to the gallery I tend now to just leave it for a minute or so and it usually gets there in the end (I don’t often get an error message) but on the forum it’s not always clear whether it’s trying to upload or not, and pressing again often gets multiple uploads - at least on the gallery we can delete, but there isn’t this option on the forum - maybe there should be one.

Edited
by Jenny Harris

I have found that my images take quite a long time to upload, I’m sure much longer than they used to. I am watching a green line go across at the top, which seems to get stuck soon after it starts (presumably the equivalent of Lewis’s circle). I just have to wait and eventually it starts again and completes. It’s at that pause point it is very tempting to click again, which I think is where the double uploads come.  I’m also using an iPad.

Edited
by Tessa Gwynne

Are you able to open a second tab on POL on an ipad?  If so, you'll see the picture has loaded, while the first tab is showing it's still loading.  If I let the first tab (where I made the upload) continue with whatever it's doing it takes ages and often ends with an error code...but it HAS uploaded.
I use an iMac and this has been happening for at least a year now.  It takes well over a minute and I eventually get a code 404 error message. But it has uploaded! If I open my iPhone I can see that its appeared on the gallery after say 10 or 15 seconds. It’s something I’ve got used to and just accept it… Yes, the reason I suspect that we get so many multiple postings, which frankly are irritating!
Lew I’ve never tried opening two tabs at once, but like Alan I have often checked on my iPhone to see if it has actually worked and usually it has. 
I upload from my iPad twenty seconds after uploading  I use the arrow at the top of the screen to go back a page , this closes that window . I then open the gallery and the painting is 99% of the time already loaded , I don’t get the error message this way , found out by accident this works and stopped the irritation. Would be much better if it was resolved. I noticed the problem a few months back after there had been problems with the site, it might be something the techs did to stop hacking etc and this is a result of that. Sorry technicians not blaming you , you all do a great job keeping it running  , just a thought . 
Phew, I thought it was untechy me ...I have shouted at it on occasion and  I can almost see my iPad two fingering at me. 
I think it’s just a slooooow system! Patience required.
It can indeed take a loooong time - I went away and brewed a pot of tea last time; I didn't notice any error messages, and it appeared eventually.  In the past, I've just opened a new tab and got on with something else - I suspect the problem is as has been identified: lots of posts, all trying to upload at the same time.